background

Wednesday, October 16, 2024

What I'm reading Wednesday...

I Who Have Never Known Men by Jacqueline Harpman
This one was a new acquisition by our library.  It is not a new book; it says that it is back in print for the first time since 1997...it could be that the English translation is new, I'm not sure.

 I finished it over the weekend, and I rate it 9/10.  I loved the voice of the narrator, which I suppose is really the style of the writing.  For me it was reminiscent of The Diary of Anne Frank...not the subject (though the guarded groups were somewhat camp-like), but the voice of a young girl presenting day-to-day life of an unthinkable situation in a straight-forward voice. Science fiction, but not excessively so.  Apocalyptic, but not alarmingly so. So very glad this one caught my attention.  


The Baker's Daughter by Sarah McCoy
This is a library ebook, and the loan was about to run out.  I put it on my ancient Kindle Keyboard so I could turn off the wi-fi and keep reading, but I really wanted to get it read as I have another one on which the loan is also about to run out.  

I picked this one up on Monday so I could read while waiting for my vaccines.  After which I came home and went to bed (proactively resting and reading for the rest of the day).  I could not sleep a wink, and at 7:30 a.m. Tuesday I was still reading.  Then I fell asleep for a few hours, and woke up and read some more.  It's not that I found it so riveting, but just that I couldn't sleep.  

The characters kept me reading, but I didn't care for the structure of the book.  I am so, so tired of dual timelines switching from chapter to chapter.  I did like it, but I didn't love it.  I rate it about 7.5/10.  

After Annie by Anna Quindlen
Starting this one.  Not sure how I will get along with it.  I understand that there are different narrators' points of view, and a non-chronological memory timeline.  But on the other hand, it is a topic that pulls at me, so we will see.  I've had a kind of hit-or-miss experience with this author's work, so we shall see.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the chuckle about being over dual timelines! I have a friend who get positively livid on that subject but I don’t m8nd t(em if it is well done. Now books that consist of back and forth emails or similar communications are no way for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I vaguely remember reading a novel written all in text messages once. I guess my one-word review of it would be: Forgettable. :)

      Delete

I have had a lot of really gross spam comments left lately, so I am having to turn comment moderation back on. To my nice blog friends, my apologies if this makes it more difficult for you to comment. To the mean naughty-talk spammers, just go away!

Related Posts with Thumbnails