background

Friday, December 29, 2023

Frugal Friday File 2023, December 29...

 

1.  Here we are at the last Friday of 2023.  Oh, my!  Over November and December we have spent money on new furniture and rug for the living room.  I can't remember how much of this I have mentioned, so forgive me if I repeat myself.  I sincerely hate shopping with its traffic, stops and starts, browsing, salespeople.  Hate it.  So I searched furniture styles online pretty exhaustively, then once options pared down went to a few stores for test drives.  We purchased the sofa in the city and had it delivered and set up.  Since it is made up of sectional components and has power recliners at each end, I wanted to make sure that it was set up correctly.  

     The chairs, rug, end tables, and floor lamps were all ordered online after much research and price comparisons.  They were all ordered without paying extra for assembly, so we saved a decent amount by assembling them ourselves.  We are very happy with the room now.  We are still waiting for the delivery of the area rug.  After it arrives I will take photos of the room and post.

2.  All furniture and Christmas spending has been paid without incurring interest on cards.

3.  I worked two days this week.  Money in.

4.  Carey went to visit his mom and be on hand in case of emergency while his sister was out of town for Christmas.  He stayed at sister and b-i-l's house while they were gone, so no hotel bill's this time.  (When I go we always stay at a hotel since I have back pain and headaches when sleeping on too-firm-for-me mattresses that s-i-l and b-i-l prefer.)

5.  A little late, but I did mail out a number of Christmas cards.  I found a box that I had purchased on sale after Christmas in a previous year, so no outlay for cards.  I plan on making and sending out a few more New Year cards in the next week or so.  The postage was purchased months ago.

On the menu this week:

Saturday:  homecooked freezer meal

Sunday:  Christmas supper at Kasey & Beau's

Monday:  homecooked freezer meal

Tuesday:  Campbell's soup

Wednesday:  takeout

Thursday:  Southwest Quinoa and Bean Salad

Friday:  Dublin Coddle

3 comments:

  1. I like the idea of New Year’s cards. Your new furniture sounds great. We are debating getting an area rug too.but with the dog tracking in so much I’m really undecided.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The rug we bought when we moved in 12+ years ago has held up remarkably considering. Spot cleaning has worked great up until now.
    See previous post on subject here: https://fourmilesnorthofnowhere.blogspot.com/2015/01/carpet-stain-removal-action.html

    For more difficult spots, The Non-Consumer Advocate swears by Folex Instant Carpet Spot Remover. I bought some from Amazon after Rudy left a bright red stain from a persimmon ingested tummy upset. It worked really well.

    But spots aren't the problem now. When we rearranged the furniture placement for new furniture, there is a very noticeably worn section that used to be between the sofa and the coffee table. We hadn't rearranged furniture in all those 12 years. LOL

    I've ordered new area rug from Wayfair...hoping it gets here within a few weeks. I believe the current rug I got from Overstock dot com (back before I knew that its owner was a wackadoodle!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Previous comment was for Juhli. I also wanted to add that darker and patterned rugs show spots less. :)

      Delete

I have had a lot of really gross spam comments left lately, so I am having to turn comment moderation back on. To my nice blog friends, my apologies if this makes it more difficult for you to comment. To the mean naughty-talk spammers, just go away!

Related Posts with Thumbnails