background

Friday, November 3, 2023

The Frugal Friday File 2023, November 3...

 

I've missed a few weeks.  Sigh.

1.  I filled in a day at my old branch while the financial advisor and my replacement had a company meeting to attend in a neighboring town.

2.  Still trying to make progress on Christmas gifts.  Carey has so little he wants.  I did alert him that the library had a book from a series he's been reading, and I checked it out for him.  Then when he left the room, I peeked at his list on which he keeps track of which ones he's read.  I went on Amazon, and took note that he has been working from an old list.  I was able to find used copies of several new books that are in the series, that he doesn't even know exist.  I will wrap those babies up and pop them under the tree.  He will not care in the least that they are used, and he will donate them to the library when he finishes reading them for their used-book sale. Winter is his reading season, as he does not enjoy being outside in cooler temperatures.

3.  Baseball is done for the season, and Carey's favorite team won the World Series.  Go Rangers!  Carey and Jared went to one of the playoff games, and spent a pretty penny for those tickets.  They didn't even think about going to a World Series game (thank goodness), and now I think I need to start a new line item in the budget just for baseball and start saving for next season.   Attending games is his sole retirement goal...of course he would like to see a game in each major league park, so it's a pretty lofty goal.  Carey attended four...or was it five...games this year.  Factor in the gasoline for the four-hour drive each way, the parking, the concessions, and it can add up quickly.  And those are just home games.  Yikes! 

4.  Received a notice from our prescription coverage company.  The premiums are going up a little, but the deductible and prescription prices are going down.  I'll count that as good news till I see differently.

5.  We read up on the Texas Constitutional Amendments that are up for vote.  That took some research to try to get the real gist of them.  Ugh!  We went to the library for early voting, so that is our duty done.  I wish they would let us vote on the laws they pass, as they have made some real stinkers lately in my opinion.

On the menu this week:

Saturday:  takeout fried chicken

Sunday:  Sunday supper with Kasey & Beau

Monday:  Chili & Tamales

Tuesday:  Chicken A La King (from freezer)

Wednesday:  Chicken Burgers and fries

Thursday:  Easy enchilada casserole and guacamole

Friday:  takout burgers

3 comments:

  1. I have comment moderation on my blog too. That is a great idea you had for ordering books in some series Carey is reading, as Christmas gifts. Are you a librarian? I am a retired librarian.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We had to add a new line item to our budget for Malone. Yikes, pets are expensive!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's really great about the books! Our youngest son and his wife have 3 little children. They live far away. I found used books for all of them at a thrift store a few months ago. They don't care at all that they are not new!

    ReplyDelete

I have had a lot of really gross spam comments left lately, so I am having to turn comment moderation back on. To my nice blog friends, my apologies if this makes it more difficult for you to comment. To the mean naughty-talk spammers, just go away!

Related Posts with Thumbnails