background

Sunday, November 19, 2023

Brandied fruit anyone...

 

I found this recipe for Friendship Fruit Cake (plus Starter Recipe) from South Your Mouth awhile back.  My mother used to make it in the very jar shown in photo above.  (You don't want it in a jar with tight seal, as it needs to be able to breathe while it ferments.)  I never had the recipe though.  Mom received a starter from our neighbor, Dorothy, who called it Brandied Fruit.  

(Can I just insert here that I grew up in the best neighborhood ever?  All the neighbors were like aunts and great-aunts, and my best friend lived right across the street.  My parents bought the house before I was born, and I ended up having to sell it after they passed.  Not many people spend their entire growing up in one house anymore, my own kids included.)

Maybe my mom never had the recipe either.  Maybe she only continued making it while she had a starter and verbal instructions from Dorothy.  I don't remember Mom ever making cake with it, we always ate it as a topping on vanilla ice cream or Mom's fabulous from scratch  pound cake.

Anyway, the spirit moved me to give it a try.  The recipe is a little confusing as in one section it tells you to drain all the fruit and add all of it plus the 1 1/4 cup sugar and 1 1/4 cup brandy to the jar at one time, and stir it 2 to 3 times a week with no hint when it is ready.

The next instruction tells you to place the starter liquid in a jar, add 1 a can of peaches WITH the juice and 2 cups of sugar, cover the jar loosely, and stir daily for 10 days.  Only then do you add a can of pineapple chunks WITH juice and 2 MORE cups of sugar, and stir daily for 10 more days.  After that 10 days you add a jar of Maraschino cherries and 2 MORE cups of sugar and stir for 10 more days.  Then it is apparently ready to use.  (And though the ingredient list includes canned apricots, it never mentions when those are supposed to be added.)

Well I don't remember this jar ever having a ton of liquid in it, so I thought I'd start with the version where you dump the drained fruit with 1 1/4 cup of sugar and 1 1/4 cup of brandy in and stir 2 or 3 times a week.  (Oh, I also didn't have brandy, but I did have bourbon so I used it.)

So we'll see how it goes, and I'll keep you posted.


4 comments:

  1. I remember making this years ago! I believe we called it Rumtopf--maybe we put rum in it? How are you doing these days? Cynthia and me are taking a road trip day after Thanksgiving--a business trip for her. We've been away from blogging for TOO long. We're talking about getting back to it. C has been doing some amazing art which need to be seen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vicki! I am SO excited to hear from you! I was thinking about y'all recently. Would love to see C's art and read your blog again!

      I hope you both had a very happy Thanksgiving, and are having a safe and FUN roadtrip!

      Delete
  2. Hi Kath! I’m about to make a batch of brandied ‘dried’ fruit to give as gifts. I’ll be using dried apricots, figs, prunes, pears, cherries, blueberries and peaches. It will be served over ice cream when its ready.
    Wishing you and yours a merry Christmas season and a Happy New Year! - Simply Joolz xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joolz, I was just thinking about you! Your Cooper is adorable and he will be a big brother soon too! Give them both a cuddle for me; all of ours are grown and not as much fun as littles! ;)

      Delete

I have had a lot of really gross spam comments left lately, so I am having to turn comment moderation back on. To my nice blog friends, my apologies if this makes it more difficult for you to comment. To the mean naughty-talk spammers, just go away!

Related Posts with Thumbnails