background

Monday, September 5, 2022

Laborious Labor Day...

So I have gotten several things marked off my to-do list for this long weekend.  I've also done a few things that weren't on the list. But the A#1 thing I wanted to get done was to get my bathroom sink working again.  

Carey hasn't questioned why I haven't been using the sink on "my" side of the bathroom.  It wasn't a big change, as "his" sink is the one with the drawers next to it, so that's where we keep the toothbrushes and toothpaste, so it just got to be a habit to use it more often.  The only thing I really use "my" sink for is while I am getting ready for work in the morning, and I have just gotten used to it being more trouble than it was worth to use it.

So after getting the countertop cleaned off yesterday, I tested the sink, and it sprayed me and across the counter I had just cleared.  Ugh!  So I say to Carey, the sink just sprayed across the counter; I think it just needs the screen cleaned.  He says, ok, I'll get to it.

Now I am the first to admit that I am COMPLETELY spoiled by his jump-into-action ways.  I have never had to nag in our entire marriage, as he is a firm believer in the do-it-now principle.  (Opposites DO attract.)

But this time he didn't.

No sweat.  I could wait.  But I really couldn't put any of the countertop items back until I knew that he wouldn't just need me to move them again as he worked.  So this morning, I say, do you think you will work on the faucett today?  He says, I don't know, I have to go get parts, and I don't know what it's going to take or if I can find them.  

I said, I don't think it is going to need that at all.  And in his most patronizing tone, he said, 'You don't understand.'

Truly, I didn't really understand the problem, as most times I just soak the screen aerator in vinegar, and it get's rid of the mineral build up and can be put right back on.  Plus it really pisses me off when he talks MAN SPEAK to me.  So rather than disturb him further, I went to the sink and tried to remove the aerator myself.  It was truly calcified on with the mineral build up, so I couldn't budge it barehanded.  

I turn to my stash of tools that I keep in the laundry room, and pick out a couple of wrenches and a pair of pliers to try...neither of which worked.  So I turned to something I absolutely KNEW would work.  I used the wrench to smack the aerator.  I knew that would work because A) it would either knock the minerals loose enough to be able to twist it off; or B) Carey would hear me and run in there to stop me...which he did.

What are you doing? he says.  I'm trying to get the screen off to soak it in vinegar.  He said, Why?  I said, Because that is what the problem is.  

That's it?  he says.  Yes, I say.  Oh, he says, I thought you were talking about the hot-water handle on the bathtub.

Huh?

At NO time did I say 'hot,' 'water,' 'handle,' or 'BATHTUB!'  

MEN!  

Oh, well.  The aerator is now soaking in vinegar.

4 comments:

  1. Inquiring minds want to know - does it work now? How funny though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, get this! Mr. Do-It-Now replaced it with a brand new one before the vinegar had even had a chance to do its thing. Not reusing like I like, but it works, and that's what I was wanting. :)

      Delete
  2. Loved this post. I am very familiar with "Man Speak" and it irritates me as well. Men also seem to have selective hearing at times. I don't ask for help on things anymore until I have tried to do it myself and failed, then it's his turn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure if the correct response here is 'glad you enjoyed the post' or 'sorry you understand'? :) At any rate, thanks so much for the supportive comment!

      Delete

I have had a lot of really gross spam comments left lately, so I am having to turn comment moderation back on. To my nice blog friends, my apologies if this makes it more difficult for you to comment. To the mean naughty-talk spammers, just go away!

Related Posts with Thumbnails