background

Thursday, November 11, 2021

What I did on my autumn vacation...

Hope everyone is well and has yet to give up on my sporadic blogging.  Thanks for the reminder to get back to it, Barbara!  :) 

I've been on vacation this week, and spent 4 days at quilt retreat with my library quilting group.  I worked on this much-delayed work in progress.  The bow tie quilt top was pieced by the grandmother of my longest-term friend...not to be confused with my oldest friend.  ;)  She handed it to me 21 years ago and asked me to finish it.  Twenty-one years!  I am so ashamed that I didn't finish it and return it to my friend decades ago!

I've always loved bow-tie quilts, and wanted to quilt this one by hand rather than have it machine quilted which was part of what led to the delay.  I tried to give it back to her at one point, but she wouldn't take it.  We've been friends since the 5th grade, so since I've always been a procrastinator she had reason to know this was a possibility.  

I started the hand quilting of it on the first day of the retreat in a wooden hoop, but that was pretty horrible.  On the second day I phoned Carey and asked him very nicely if he would meet me half way and  bring my PVC standing quilt frame.  The retreat was over 2 hours from our home, so the rest of the group was mightily impressed when he said he would.  Such a sweetie!  When assembled this frame is about the size of a card table, so gave me much more work area and much less frustration.

I made good progress on it, but still have a long ways to go.  I'll keep you updated.

The Giver of Stars by Jojo Moyes

I came home Tuesday and started (and finished) a book that a friend recommended at retreat: The Giver of Stars by Jojo Moyes.  Hard to put down.  About the Pack Horse Library Project which was a WPA project started in the 1930s.  The ebook was available through my library.

This morning I remembered to log on to work system and complete our insurance selections before the open enrollment period ends tomorrow.  Carey will be retiring at the end of the year (though he only has to work for another week and a half in actual days on the job), so have to make sure we both have coverage starting January 1.

Tomorrow I have a doctor appointment, and then hope to go get my Covid booster on the way home.

Not sure yet what the weekend will bring other than the normal work-week laundry.  Hopefully it will also bring some more hand quilting...don't want that to get pushed aside as I would really like to complete it before the end of the year.

9 comments:

  1. What a lovely quilt top and what dedication to do it by hand!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really love working with these vintage fabrics.

      Delete
  2. Quilting is one craft I have not tried. It is certainly the most useful of crafts - and the most appreciated. I've been vegging lately. I think I am storing up my energy for Thanksgiving and then Christmas decorating. Heaven help me. I love Christmas decorations but the getting them out and putting them up is so much work. Sweet Carey, such a good man.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Every year I say I am going to donate a ton of our decorations. Maybe this year?

      Delete
  3. Keep quilting. How can we help you? There must be ways to nudge without nagging! Imagine the joy you will feel when it is completed? It will be gorgeous, warm and loved.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful quilt! It reminds me of the one my grandmother made from the scraps from her dressmaking for the grandchildren. I wish I had it now, no idea what happened it.

    ReplyDelete

I have had a lot of really gross spam comments left lately, so I am having to turn comment moderation back on. To my nice blog friends, my apologies if this makes it more difficult for you to comment. To the mean naughty-talk spammers, just go away!

Related Posts with Thumbnails