background

Wednesday, November 11, 2020

On vacation...

I love stay-at-home vacation days.  Today I'm doing some sewing; making a few more masks.  

I've watched a ton of Utube videos and used a few different patterns since the pandemic started.  This one is my favorite, though I had to adapt it to suit me better.  In the original pattern the bottom was just unfitted and left a big gap at the bottom.  On my first half dozen or so I added a strip of elastic to the inside bottom edge so that it tucked comfortably under my chin and was more protective without the big gap. 

I always use two different fabrics for the interior and exterior so that if the mask is removed and then put back on, I can easily tell which side should be worn toward the face.  So it's just a short jump to making them fully reversible.  However, the side that the elastic was on looked a bit too messy to be worn on the outside to me.

Now, instead of the elastic, I add a small dart on each side of the front center seam before sewing the interior and exterior layers together.  It now fits comfortably under my chin and looks equally neat on both fabric sides.  Completely reversible!  Don't worry, I always launder after each wearing.  One should never wear the outside of a worn mask against their face...that's the side that has encountered other people's germs!  (Just turning inside out and wearing doesn't work for masks like it does for underwear.  I'm kidding!  I'm kidding!!! )

These changes have enabled me to really expand my mask wardrobe with a lot less sewing.  (Does this photo look like it's from a Christmas episode of The Handmaid's Tale to anyone else, or is it just me.  LOL)


I know, I know...the plaid pattern is not perfectly matched.  My mother has been harping on me from her grave about it all afternoon.  :)

I've started using longer pieces of elastic for ear pieces and adding silicone cord locks so the length can be adjusted for comfort.  Now I don't have to worry about an exact fit, because I was always getting them just a little too loose or a little too tight (okay, truthfully one of my first  masks makes my ears stick out like Howdy Doody...LOL).

I also like the aluminum nose-bridge strips with adhesive on one side that I purchased from Amazon recently.  Added to the top edge they really cut down on glasses fogging up.

Now I need to get back to the sewing machine.  I'm hoping to have at least seven new masks done before I return to work.  Also in the works is a lap quilt to donate, and I want a pretty mug rug for my work desk.  Hopefully I will be able to show those before vacation is over.

ps:  Yes, I do know that a vaccine is looking very, very promising, but I figure it will be months at the very least before the general public is able to get it.  And I like for my masks to match my work outfits.  :) 

10 comments:

  1. Wow, really a nice job on the mask.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I had learned how to sew! There are so many cute fabric designs out there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I prefer handwork. I think because when I was first learning how to sew I ran the needle over my fingertip. But I am really glad that I know how to do machine sewing. It comes in really handy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am having trouble posting on your blog--I am not a good blogee. What I write keeps vanishing. I really like your masks and how you keep changing your pattern. The reversible design is really cute. With your design and with reversing my underwear, I can really reduce my laundry loads! TY for the great ideas. I hadn't thought to reverse my underwear (and fortunately I don't have the memory to remember to do that in the future).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have trouble commenting on blogs from my phone. Could that be your problem too?

      Delete
  5. I have been making them too and your ideas look good to me. I have had a terrible time of them and really needed some guidance. Yesterday I did four and they are pretty ok, just had to learn. Happy to hear about the strips, I have been using pipe cleaners lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Peggy, I agree that it does get easier after you’ve made a few. I actually found another pattern that is quicker and a little simpler while still fitting like the one I wrote about. It doesn’t have a seem down the front either, so I tried it when I didn’t want to have to try to match the print on the fabric at the seam (I was making some with a Dr. Seuss Cat-In-The-Hat print). If you need another pattern, let me know and I could send you the link to the free pattern.

      Here’s a link to the nose pieces I’ve been using if you are interested: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B088ZY5NM9/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

      Delete
  6. I love the material you used on your mask. You were smart to custom fit it. Comfort is important. You will wear a custom fitted, cute little mask a lot more often and for longer periods of time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Barbara. I do like choosing one for my outfit in the morning. :)

      Delete

I have had a lot of really gross spam comments left lately, so I am having to turn comment moderation back on. To my nice blog friends, my apologies if this makes it more difficult for you to comment. To the mean naughty-talk spammers, just go away!

Related Posts with Thumbnails