background

Friday, May 6, 2011

Naked scones...


Back in the olden days, when I took my first Homemaking class in junior high (this was right on the cusp when it became more frequently called Home Economics...I think these days it's morphed into Life Skills) our first in-class cooking project was biscuits (the American, small quick bread kind).  I went straight home and made a batch on my own.  My biscuits came hot out of the oven about the time my mom and dad arrived home from work.  I think my mom was a little freaked that I had been cooking while no one was home, but my dad was appropriately complimentary which gave me a lot of kitchen confidence.

For some reason this memory popped into my head as I was driving home from work yesterday.  I was so hungry, but couldn't think of a thing that was available on the hour-long commute that I wanted.  So I kept driving while my carb craving grew.  And then I knew what it was that I had to have.  Naked Scones

Super easy.  Super quick.  Super comfort.


In a bowl stir together: 
2 cups all purpose flour
2 tsp granulated sugar
1 tsp salt
1 Tbsp baking powder

Add 1 cup heavy cream and stir just till it holds together.  You may need to add a bit more cream.





 Remove the dough onto a counter top, and knead so that it sticks together.  Do not overwork.  Pat or roll to 1/4 to 1/2 inch thickness.  Cut with cookie cutters or slice to shape.  Place on an ungreased cookie sheet, and brush with a bit more cream and sprinkle with sanding sugar ( I didn't have any, so I used regular granulated sugar.)

Bake in a 450 degree (F) preheated oven for about ten minutes.






The ten minute baking time was the hardest part, as I could hardly bear the growling in my stomach.  (Get it?  Bear.  Growling.  Oh, come on!  You know that deserves at least a wry grin!)

To busy myself, I assembled whatever I could find to accompany my warm fresh scones...REAL butter, hazel nut and chocolate spread, honey, just fruit spread, and the last tiny hoarded remainder of my friend's homemade fig preserves.




Done!















The local Texas wildflower honey won in the best accompaniment category.

Thanks to Pamela at How to Run Your Life for her recipe and her humor.  Be sure to click the Naked Scones link above to see her recipe with its further details and suggestions for adding other ingredients.  I just posted the 'naked' recipe as I made it yesterday.

2 comments:

  1. These look so simple and good! Butter and honey can't be beat--I'll be whipping some of these up for the hubby soon!--and ME too, of course!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kathleen! I'm glad the recipe worked for you (freakishly easy, am I right?). But now you have kicked off my OWN carb craving. Dammit, now I have to go get heavy cream.

    ReplyDelete

I have had a lot of really gross spam comments left lately, so I am having to turn comment moderation back on. To my nice blog friends, my apologies if this makes it more difficult for you to comment. To the mean naughty-talk spammers, just go away!

Related Posts with Thumbnails