background

Friday, August 10, 2018

Frugal Friday File 2018, week 32...


Successes:
1.  We were going out to a place we like for a late lunch/early dinner (not frugal) on Wednesday.  I remembered before we left home that they have put a Little Free Library out front of the cafe.  The first time I saw it, I didn't feel right about taking a book since I didn't have any to leave in exchange.  Today I picked up a couple of books from my already-read pile before we left home.  

I love the idea of little free libraries, and I want one, but we live in a semi-rural area and on a cul-de-sac to boot, so I don't think it would see much traffic if I had one.  I happily deposited my two donation books today on my way into the restaurant.  And the frugal part of this story is that on the way out of the restaurant I found a mystery paperback that caught my fancy to take home with me.

2.  Aestivation - prolonged torpor or dormancy of an animal during a hot or dry period.  As opposed to hibernation.  That's what I'm doing.  Hiding from the heat.  Staying home.  Watching free craft tutorials on Youtube.  And movies on Netflix (which may not be free, but at least I'm getting my money's worth on the subscription).

3.  Getting a head start on Christmas gifting/crafting.  I'm making plans and lists.  I've requested an all homemade gift exchange among the family this year...not sure all will want to do that, but it's okay to mix it up.  My quilt group is also doing a handmade exchange this year, so I'm working on that as well.  A good portion of all gifts will be done with supplies on hand.

4.  Using free printables to replenish Yahtzee! score cards.  We play Yahtzee! often, lately at every family supper.  And last week we were down to using the remains of a pad from the 1960's.  My kids were amazed as they handed me a partially used score sheet, all foxed and somewhat brittle around the edges, with my maiden name written in elementary cursive.  :)  I don't need to make a pad out of the ones I'm printing, but I have plenty of free chipboard and a jar of padding compound from when I made these, so I might as well.

5.  Vacation planning.  Keeping it as frugal as possible.  Meal planning and pet arrangements are a major consideration in the process.  Can't we just stay home?

Frugal From the Kitchen This Week:
Saturday:  *Tex-Mex
Sunday:  Sunday family supper at Kasey & Beau's
Monday:  Bacon Ranch Tortellini Salad
Tuesday:  leftovers
Wednesday:  *dinner out
Thursday:  leftovers
Friday:  *burger

(*not-frugal takeout or dinner out)

6 comments:

  1. Hello,

    I saw one of those free libraries for the first time a few weeks ago on an other blog and thought it was a wonderful idea.

    A homemade Christmas sounds just lovely :)
    I will be doing a mixture of handmade and bought presents.

    Take Care

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Fiona, I have to be diligent in order to finish all I have planned. Otherwise I will be buying some close to the holidays. :)

      Delete
  2. I make hamdmade gifts too. They are a great way to give something just for the person who will receive it. This year, I hope to learn how to sew rope baskets to hold my gifts. Meg😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love to make things especially for someone. But I only do it for people I know will appreciate the effort. Some people don't have a clue and would rather have a gift card. :) Rope baskets are awesome. I've never made any; hope you have fun with learning how!

      Delete
  3. While you're hiding from the heat, we are still trying to keep warm. I have really felt the cold this winter - must be age!

    I'm not sure if it's available in the US but the British series called Safe is a good mystery. Right up to the last almost 5 minutes, you don't know who dunnit!

    I also love YouTube - I subscribe to a lot of homesteading YouTubers in the North Carolina mountains. Beautiful families, living off the land and loving life. Much better than all that crap on TV. Of late, I've been 'what to eat' in Scotland and Greece as we are headed overseas on 2nd Sept. A drive around Scotland for 2 weeks then on to Athens for a few nights then a 7 night cruise of the islands (Santorini, Mykonos etc). Can.Not.Wait!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joolz, your trip sounds fabulous! We have scheduled some time at the end of Oct beginning of Nov, no firm plans made yet, but we won’t be leaving the country…who knows if we could get back in. LOL

      I will definitely see if I can find Safe. Right now I’m watching Longmire (with your countryman Robert Taylor), and am almost at the end of the seasons that have been filmed so far. I think there is supposed to be at least one more made.

      Stay warm, and if I don’t talk to you before you leave, have a wonderful time on your trip!

      Delete

I have had a lot of really gross spam comments left lately, so I am having to turn comment moderation back on. To my nice blog friends, my apologies if this makes it more difficult for you to comment. To the mean naughty-talk spammers, just go away!

Related Posts with Thumbnails