background

Wednesday, June 25, 2014

What I'm reading Wednesday...

The Sky Buries All Sorrow by Roger DeBlanck

I just finished this last night.  It was quite possibly the worst book I have ever read.  It was advertised as a riveting family drama spanning WWII to 9/11.  Riveting?  No.  The writing was very amateurish, the editing was sadly wanting.  Too many details are thrown in that lead nowhere.  Phrasing that is out of time context.  Dialog that is racially insulting.  And then the ending...ugh.  Maybe I should have set it aside...but by the time I was halfway through, it got to be a joke.  I can't tell you how many times I laughed out loud (not in a good way) at the ludicrous and often repetitive phrasing.  

The author's bio reads suspiciously like the grandson in the book.  It seems like he wrote a family memoir...but a riveting novel it is not.

I don't mean to pick on this author, because I think there is so much of this these days.  The self-publishing trend is making it easier for anyone to get a book out there...when maybe they shouldn't...at least not without better...professional...non-sentimental editing.
Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. Ah, I so hear you... So many people think they can write a book, too few actually can :)
    And thank you for your lovely blog comment - you've made my evening x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Couldn't agree more - there's an awful lot of dreadful writing out there - and more so with the advent of kindle and self-publishing. I'm always very suspicious of free or particularly cheap books, although having said that, there are some gems out there, too.

    ReplyDelete

I have had a lot of really gross spam comments left lately, so I am having to turn comment moderation back on. To my nice blog friends, my apologies if this makes it more difficult for you to comment. To the mean naughty-talk spammers, just go away!

Related Posts with Thumbnails