background

Wednesday, January 17, 2018

What I'm reading Wednesday...

When Breath Becomes Air by Paul Kalanithi

A beautifully written memoir by Dr. Paul Kalanithi, a neurosurgeon who at age 34 was diagnosed with stage IV lung cancer.  

When I need something a little lighter, I switch to...

News of the World by Paulette Jiles

Also a library ebook.   In an age when a majority of people couldn't read or didn't have access to newspapers, traveling from town to town reading the news to groups of paying listeners was a living for the Captain, an elderly former soldier turned printer.  He is in the town of Wichita Falls, in northern Texas, presenting the news, when he is approached by an acquaintance to perform a service for a reward: returning a German settler child to her family near San Antonio.  She has been living with the Kiowa as an adopted member of their tribe after being abducted in a raid years before.

It's always interesting to read about my home landscapes in a different age.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Kathy, I am making a list of all the books you have enjoyed, always need suggestions. My book group is reading The Gustav Sonata by Rose Tremain at the moment. Set in Switzerland post 2nd WW story of a boy, his mother and his friend. I’m half way through but thoroughly enjoying it and totally recommend. PS. Thanks for the letter, will reply soon x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just checked both of my library sites, and no Gustav Sonata. :( I could get it through Amazon, but I've sworn not to buy any books this month, so it will have to wait.

      Delete

I have had a lot of really gross spam comments left lately, so I am having to turn comment moderation back on. To my nice blog friends, my apologies if this makes it more difficult for you to comment. To the mean naughty-talk spammers, just go away!

Related Posts with Thumbnails