Well, this was delayed longer than intended. I've been indulging in reading more than I maybe should, and haven't managed to get a lot else done.
My Rudolph activity for October was to get some sewing done for Christmas, and here is my start. This is a quilting-at-the-library group project. We each sewed four strips of a holiday jelly roll together, cut the joined strips with a Dresden Plate template, we each took twenty of the cut strips, then joined those into Checkered Dresden blocks. Instead of joining the blocks into a quilt, we each are keeping a block to make what we wish out of. Some are making pillow covers; some (me included) are making table toppers.
I will add borders, and machine quilt and bind.
The Checkered Dresden tutorial said to use a machined blanket stitch to attach the 'plate' to the backing. My old machine doesn't have a wide variety of stitching to chose from, and I didn't want to zigzag, so I just did a top stitch as close to the edge as possible. I'm okay with it. It looks neat, and it was quick.
I have another sewing project that I need to start tonight, but it's a gift, and I'm not sure I should show it yet.