background

Friday, July 12, 2019

Frugal Friday File 2019, week 28...

Successes:
1.  Last Friday I received word that the family member of the person I was filling in for has improved greatly, so she could return to work this week.  Yea!  A couple of hours later I got a call from a different branch asking me to work Monday through Friday this week, 8:30 - 5:00, in a neighboring town.  Ummmmmmm.  She heard the hesitation in my voice and began explaining why she needed someone to work.  And I, of course, accepted the assignment.  Sigh.  I am such a soft touch.  A nice paycheck will make me feel better about that.

2.  I cancelled my appointment for a haircut.  I made this appointment on my last visit, so that I could have a fresh cut right before vacation, but that last cut was a little shorter than I ended up liking much.  It is just now growing out and looking better to me, so I'll forego a trim and save the cost.

3.  I noticed that Audible was offering 66% off the first 3 months, and thought I'd look into it since I've been listening to more audio books.  For $4.95 a month, you get one free audiobook and 2 audible originals per month...uh, the library gives me 8 audio and/or ebooks at a time...for FREE...and I can have 8 more once I return those...as often as I want!  (And after the original 3-month trial, the Audible price goes up to $14.95 a month!)  Easy to pass on that offer.

4.  I considered replacing my favorite duffel bag with a new piece of rolling luggage.  Then I remembered that I have a small handcart that folds flat and bungee cords...rolling luggage!  I may have splurged if I was going to be staying at a nice hotel, but I'm going to be staying at a cabin at a KOA camp, so my Red Green luggage will be fine.  :)

I'm skipping #5 this week.  I'm tired, and I need to get this finished and set to publish in the morning so I can get to bed.

Saturday:  Chicken Fried Steak w/ cream gravy, fries, corn
Sunday:  Sunday family supper at Kasey & Beau's
Monday:  *pizza
Tuesday:  homemade hamburgers w/ sweet potato fries
Wednesday:*Tex-Mex  
Thursday:  *burger
Friday: leftovers

Number of individual servings made and frozen for work lunches this week:  3

(*not-frugal takeout or dinner out)

2 comments:

  1. We are picking blueberries from our garden. They start off slow only a quart or so, get heavy yields 5-6 quarts every other day, early in August then peter out. The branches are loaded and hanging down with berries that are all still green. So we expect to get over 120 quarts like we did last year as hubby put shredded leaves, wood chips, chicken manure and some magnesium sulfate around the roots between last fall and this spring as well as a healthy pruning of old wood. And now we are seeing the rewards for his efforts. Yummy, juicy fresh berries without going anywhere.
    I understand your frustration with the salon. It seems everyone I know dreads going to the salon. Hubby gives my boys haircuts each month and I take a seat on the stool and get a trim every other month. He knows what I want, never a bad haircut or cut too short.
    We were invited to a picnic at my best friend’s house last weekend. BYOB, a dish to share (fruit salad and my brownies) and she asked that hubby bring his scissors. He last trimmed her hair before Christmas when she was visiting and said she was way overdue for a trim. I reminded him when we left and he confirmed he had his bag of hair tools. So we ate and then as we hung out on her deck, she asked if he brought his scissors. He went out to the car to get the bag while she brought a stool from the kitchen out to the deck. So he caped her, and gave her a haircut while we sipped beers and wine coolers. As he was finishing up, one of the women, who I didn’t know very well, my friend’s coworker complimented my hubby on doing a nice job, and that my friend was lucky getting at home service for a great haircut. She then pulled her extremely long ponytail from around her back, held it up and said her ends were a mess and she really needed a trim. Hubby said he had his stuff all ready if she wanted a haircut. Well to our surprise she said that would be great as she stood up and headed to take a seat on the stool. Well she took her hair out of the ponytail and had to hold it up so she didn’t sit on it when she sat down. It was definitely looking rough at the ends and she told him she wanted it cut even straight across the bottom. He told her he was going to have to take off at least 5 inches off the longest pieces to do that. She said she wanted him to take it up to her hips so that she wouldn’t be sitting on it. It had been over two years since she last had it cut, so she was way overdue. We all watched intently, as he cut off close to a foot of her really long hair. When he finished, she had my friend take a picture of how her hair looked from the back. She was happy with the results, thanked him and when she looked down, she asked if all that blond hair on the deck was hers. He assured her it was. They probably would have charged her over $100 at the salon given how long her hair was. So I know I have it pretty good when not only my friends, but one of their friends would rather trust my guy to cut their hair than go to the salon. I told him it looks like he has another customer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Keri, that is funny! It is so nice to have talented/skilled people in our lives!

      Delete

I have had a lot of really gross spam comments left lately, so I am having to turn comment moderation back on. To my nice blog friends, my apologies if this makes it more difficult for you to comment. To the mean naughty-talk spammers, just go away!

Related Posts with Thumbnails