background

Monday, April 22, 2013

An apple a day...

I haven't been writing much, because I have been tired...exhausted...fatigued...pooped!  All week last week, I came home from work, went directly into the bath tub, and then straight to bed.  My previous weekend of non-stop cleaning and bargain hunting just about did me in.  (I've said it before, and I'll say it again..."Housework [not to mention tax season] is hazardous to your health!")  Anyway, I was feeling so awful, that I made an appointment to see my doctor.  She will, of course, tell me that I need to lose weight.  Duh.

So Sunday, when I finally started feeling better, I decided to spend some of my energy stocking up on healthy foods.  

What better way to start the week than with an apple a day.  Yes, I hear you.  "Why do you have a rubber band around your apple, Kathleen?"  Well, it's an awesome little tip I came across...probably on Pinterest...and thought worthy of sharing.


I'm always looking for ways to eliminate morning tasks.  If I try to add one little thing to my morning routine, it WILL be skipped in favor of one more slap to the snooze button.  Therefore, I am ALWAYS looking for ways to do things the night before.

Take breakfast for example.  I'm not really a breakfast person, but I like an apple with almond butter once I get to work.  Kind of hard to eat a whole apple at my desk...and REALLY messy to try to dip it in almond butter.

Enter my trusty apple slicer...

Sunday night, I sliced my apple, but instead of taking it apart, just kept it together and slid a rubber band around it.  I popped the whole thing into a ziplock baggie, and then into my lunchbox in the refrigerator.

Ta-da!  This is how it looked when I got to work this morning...hardly any browning at all.  Crisp and perfect slices for dipping.


The salad in a jar I posted about a couple of weeks ago worked great.  Sunday, I also made up enough to last me through another week.  This week's salad didn't look as pretty in the jar...not colorful enough.  The tomatoes are hiding in the bottom, and all the other ingredients...baby corn cobs, celery, mushrooms, roasted chicken, lettuce mix...all kind of blend into one another colorwise.  (Good move, Kath, forgot to put in the shredded carrot and radish...sheesh.)


As for the doctor, I will keep my Friday appointment.  I will take my lecture.  I will ask about a sleep study.  I will discuss rescheduling some tests.  I will act on her advice.

4 comments:

  1. Hope you are feeling better! I am reading the Wheatbelly book --I'd like to lose at least 30 lbs. to get my blood pressure under control! I think it will be difficult to not eat white flour which is my goal. My daughter's hematologist said that a lot of autoimmune disease is also linked to Celiac. Don't know if we have it, but we do have other autoimmune disorders! Could it really help the heartburn, aching of arthritic joints that make me feel like the tin man needing an oil can? I'm going to try it!
    V

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the salad in a jar idea. HOpe you're feeling better now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bought an apple slicer today - exact replica of yours! I figure it will make good potato wedges too!

    Cheers, Joolz xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so sorry you are so tired. I need to lose weight as well. I have started weight watcher's twice but then had major surgery on my foot and stopped when my dr said. You need to eat heathly and not restrict your intake while your bone is re-fusing so that has been nine weeks now ha Have to get back to it. I love my apple slicer but like to put cinnamon or peanut butter on my slices!!

    ReplyDelete

I have had a lot of really gross spam comments left lately, so I am having to turn comment moderation back on. To my nice blog friends, my apologies if this makes it more difficult for you to comment. To the mean naughty-talk spammers, just go away!

Related Posts with Thumbnails