background

Wednesday, May 23, 2018

What I'm reading Wednesday...

Room for Hope by Kim Vogel Sawyer

My mother-in-law was reading this one when we visited last week.  It sounded like I might like it, so I ordered a used copy when I got home.  

In the 1930s a woman works hard to handle the family mercantile business and raise twins while her equally hard working and respected husband spends every other month traveling to enlarge their sales area.  Still, she was happy in her marriage and with her life until one day a stranger appears at her door with three small children whose parents died tragically.  On the father's deathbed he asks the doctor to deliver the children to their aunt...only she's not their aunt...and she learns that the children's parents were her husband and his other wife.  Having been raised in an orphanage, she can't bring herself to turn her back on the children no matter that their presence makes life and work harder than it has ever been, and is a constant reminder of her husband's deception.

I was really glad I had it in my purse last night when I attended an auction.  After previewing the sale contents online and in person, I had only one target:
Not my normal style choice, but for some reason it spoke to me...probably because I think it will look fabulous during the holidays with my leg lamp.  And just look at that fluffy, old-fashioned seat cushion.

It took forever for them to bring it up for bid, but that just meant I got lots of reading time, and by the time it came up most of the bidders had gone home so I could afford it.  :)  Of course, that means I spent all day at work today wishing for a nap!

2 comments:

I have had a lot of really gross spam comments left lately, so I am having to turn comment moderation back on. To my nice blog friends, my apologies if this makes it more difficult for you to comment. To the mean naughty-talk spammers, just go away!

Related Posts with Thumbnails