1. When I made Chicken Pot Pie last week, I set aside a portion of the crust dough and filling and made a little version in a cute vintage individual-serving pie plate and baked it along with the larger one. When it was cool, I wrapped it in foil and froze it. On Monday, I packed the pot pie in an insulated lunch box and delivered to mother-in-law's fridge when we went to visit. She doesn't complain much about assisted living, but she has mentioned dissatisfaction with the food. When I can, I like to take her something home cooked that she can warm up when there's nothing on the facility's menu that appeals to her. It doesn't cost a dime, but it lets her know I'm thinking of her.
2. Also on Sunday, when Caitlyn and I made Strawberry Fluff for Sunday dessert, I made two little servings in pint jars, screwed on their lids, and stored in the fridge. Took those to m-i-l also.
3. Took Rudy to the vet today (only frugal in that preventative care keeps even more expensive treatments at bay). Purchased flea/tick prevention. The receptionist handed me two rebate forms. I came straight home and submitted rebate requests online. Now I will be looking for that $30 check to arrive in the mail (instead of looking for the receipt and rebate forms in a pile somewhere whenever I remembered they needed submitting...usually about two weeks after the rebate offer expired).
4. Ordered postage stamps online saving a trip to the post office and insuring I got attractive stamps I wanted instead of just what was in stock locally. I could swear that they used to not charge for delivery for online postage orders, but I was charged this time. Oh, well...worth it not to have to drive the seven miles in the opposite direction from any of my usual haunts. Upon their arrival, I even promptly put them in my designated spot for stamps so I can find them when they are needed instead of having to buy more. :)
5. We filled up with bargain-priced gasoline on trip to see m-i-l; enough left to last me a week or two probably. The leftover chili was saved to make future meal of enchiladas. Received an email about a book that I thought I might want to purchase; checked library website and was happy to see they recently acquired it; got on reserve list at #2 spot! Making cards to mail. Enjoying a quiet rainy day at home.
Frugal From the Kitchen This Week:
Saturday: egg on toast
Sunday: Sunday family supper at Kasey's - Ribs! 😋
Monday: *lunch out, cheese & crackers for supper
Tuesday: *Schlotzky sandwich (C) and salad (me)
Wednesday: pork chops, rice & gravy, brocolli
Thursday: Frito pie (homemade chili, of course)
Friday: homemade hamburgers
(*not-frugal takeout or dinner out)