1. I made a big batch of twice-baked potatoes. I don't follow a recipe for this, but alter the ingredients according to what I have on hand. This time I had large baking potatoes, butter, sour cream, ranch dressing mix, Parmesan cheese, Cheddar cheese, dehydrated minced onion, dried chives, salt, and pepper. We enjoyed some the first night with meatloaf, and the rest are in the freezer. Future meal planning and prep is easy when I have a side ready that everybody likes, and easy meal prep means I'm not as tempted to resort to budget-busting takeout.
2. Quite a few single portions of supper leftovers were packaged and frozen for Carey to take to work. And still had meatloaf left for sandwiches, as well as broccoli left to make broccoli and cheese soup.
3. When I was shifting some things in the freezer, I found a package of cooked chicken breast medallions that I had cooked in a big batch and frozen half for later. Yea! I had forgotten that I had this in there, and so will use it tonight to make a easy pasta dish. (edit: I forgot to take it out to thaw, so will save it for another day.)
4. I attended our quilting group at the library on Monday. I took a project that is one I fall back on when I don't have anything else to work on. It's handy to take since all the fabrics needed are from my stash and in a project box ready to pick up and go. I can't tell you how many times it has gone to the library with me. Someday it will get finished.
5. I'm doing my best to stay out of stores and avoid people. So far (knock on wood) we have avoided the flu. I actually should get some medical tests done, but they're not urgent, so I'm not eager to sit in waiting rooms full of flu patients right now. Costs of non-essential shopping and medical expenses are staying tucked snugly in my account.
Frugal From the Kitchen This Week:
Saturday: chili cheese tots
Sunday: *Schlotzky sandwiches
Monday: Jambalaya leftovers
Tuesday: Corn and Crab Chowder w/ garlic bread
Wednesday: meatloaf, twice-baked potatoes, broccoli
(*not-frugal takeout or dinner out)