background

Friday, September 16, 2016

Frugal Friday File, week 37...


Successes:
1. Picked up a loaf of bread (the brand that my husband likes) while I was at Dollar Tree for their standard $1 price (every item in the store is $1).  The same loaf of bread at our regular grocery store goes for $2.88


2.   While I was in the bargain section at Target, I admired this cute little puffy dog coat that would have been a perfect fit and look for Rudy.  It was $3.  I put it back, and will instead make him a coat out of an old sweatshirt I have in the closet...and I won't be out anything if he tears it to shreds.

3.  Thought about purchasing a new fancy planner while they were on sale this week, but after looking at them, I figured if it ain't broke, why fix it?  My checkbook-sized 2-year planners work perfectly for me, and they fit inside my wallet.  Found one for $1.

4.  Almost let a bill's due date slip past me.  Remembered it very late on the due date.  Luckily it's one that gets credited instantly when paid online.  Saved me about a $25 late fee.


5.  I ran to the store to pick up a couple of things.  I happened to notice the containers above in the produce section, and I stopped to skim the label.  For $1.50 you get 5.2 ounces of potato with some oil and spices that you take home and zap in the microwave.  Really?  

For $2.50 I bought a 3 pound bag of potatoes...came home and washed, oiled, spiced, and roasted...fresher, home cooked, and even adding in the cost of the small amount of olive oil and spices from my cupboard and the energy to roast them, I figure it came out to less than 35¢ per 5.2 ounce serving rather than the $1.50 on those crazy over-packaged Take &Shake 'potatoes.'

6.  I've been seeing Snapple Peach Tea in store displays lately.  They must be trying to reduce the summer stock.  I really like Snapple Peach Tea.  So far I have been able to pass it by, knowing that I have peach-ginger tea bags at home, and when I make my own, I can have it without sugar or sweetener as I prefer.

Keep Tryings:
I've made a few impulse purchases lately.  Perhaps more than a few.

Frugal From the Kitchen This Week:
Saturday:  *pizza
Sunday:  leftovers
Monday:  goulash
Tuesday:  leftovers
Wednesday:  Sweet & Sour meatballs with rice and broccoli
Thursday:  Spring salad w/mixed berries, walnuts, salmon fillet, homemade honey/Dijon
Friday:  Baked chicken breasts, roasted red potatoes, salad

(*not-frugal takeout or dinner out)
Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. It must be a sign of advancing years I suppose, but when I look at the cost of ready made meals I always think I could make twice the amount of the same dish for half the cost. Just occasionally the convenience outweighs the cost if I'm too busy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. When I think of all the meals my mother prepared from scratch after working full days at the office, I wish I could send a few conveniences back in time to her. :)

    ReplyDelete

I have had a lot of really gross spam comments left lately, so I am having to turn comment moderation back on. To my nice blog friends, my apologies if this makes it more difficult for you to comment. To the mean naughty-talk spammers, just go away!

Related Posts with Thumbnails