background

Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Cultivating Peace

There's a website that I visit regularly which has a slogan: Cultivate Peace. The first time I read those words they jumped right off of my monitor and into my consciousness, and they've been swimming around there ever since.

How do I cultivate peace?

I have always had a strong desire for a peaceful environment. I do not like conflict. So I do my best to see both sides of an argument, to understand a point of view other than my own, to respect others, to be considerate, to soothe hurt feelings, to drive friendly (okay, so I slip once in awhile), to donate to good causes, to vote my conscience, to pray for others...basically to just do unto others as I would have them do unto me. And I hole up four miles north of nowhere in seclusion.

So, for the most part, I have peace in my environment.

But caged inside my head is a mynah bird. It screeches at me throughout the day. "You idiot." "You look like crap today." "Can't you get something done?" "You should be...fill in the blank...better; healthier; thinner; more motivated; more disciplined; ...more!" It can't escape its cage, and I can't escape its shrieks.

I want to replace this destructive shrill with a nice peaceful dove, that will coo softly in my ear tender phrases...words of peace.

I'm working on it.

2 comments:

  1. I have one of these, too. I am thankful that i know of so many who love me to combat these negative thoughts from creeping in. I am especially grateful for my Savior who understands my potential and is always whispering (loudly) "You can do it. I will help you."
    Thanks for your thoughts.
    Love you!
    KKS

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your witness, Kim. And love you too! tia kata

    ReplyDelete

I have had a lot of really gross spam comments left lately, so I am having to turn comment moderation back on. To my nice blog friends, my apologies if this makes it more difficult for you to comment. To the mean naughty-talk spammers, just go away!

Related Posts with Thumbnails