background

Tuesday, April 7, 2020

Seven random thoughts on the 7th...

1.  A couple of months ago I subscribed to Freshly meal delivery service for six meals per week (two individual servings of three different meals).  Their meals are fully prepared, and never frozen, and they are pretty healthy (lean meats, spaghetti squash and zoodles [zuchini noodles] instead of pasta).  I was happily surprised when Carey didn't begrudge the expense; he's just happy to have meals ready at a reasonable hour that we don't have to go out for.  I did it because I hate grocery shopping, and don't relish coming home at 5pm just to cook every night.  Now that groceries may or may not be on the store shelves, and neither of us want to pick up the virus from other shoppers, we are both SUPER happy to look forward to the Freshly box at our door.

2.  Yesterday I uninstalled three games from my phone.  They were ones I liked, but I was wasting way too much time, so I just ripped off the bandaid.

3.  We found out that two of our clients have Covid 19.  They are recuperating as I understand it.  We are expecting some forms back from them in the mail.  I know the virus isn't supposed to live on paper for long, but still.  I'm the one that opens all the mail and packages.  (Note to self:  retrieve that box of latex-like gloves that have been languishing under the laundry room sink for years and stash them in my work desk...and put some in our cars too.)  

4.  I need to make masks.  

5.  The social isolating hasn't been a big adjustment for me.  I understand how it is for a lot of people, but for me life isn't all that different.  I still go to work in my essential-industry job...our two-person staff in a large office means we have a lot of room for social distancing...and we are having appointments (but only by phone or web-conference)...so my life isn't drastically impacted.  What is hardest for me is that Carey and I are choosing to keep our distance from the kids.  I did go over yesterday just to take the girls' photo in the bluebonnets in their front yard.  No hugs!  :(  

6.  I can't say that there is no stress at all from current events.  I do think a lot about people losing loved ones, and jobs, and meals, and homes.  The idea that we can't bury all the victims seems straight out of Forever Amber.  And even in areas of low virus occurrence, families who are losing family members from other causes are unable to hold a service to say goodbye and feel the love and support of friends.  No weddings.  No graduations.  People dealing with heartbreak and disappointment.  

7.  And all I can do is make another donation to the food bank.


4 comments:

  1. It sounds like you are coping well and so agree about the stress from current events even if our immediate circle is fine. The food bank is more critical than ever right now. Regarding mail, I remind myself that it has been more than 24 hours since the sender touched the envelope so it the mail sorter and delivery person who are the risk. We set up a "dirty" counter for paper items to sit for 24 hours and plastic/metal/glass for 72 hours before moving them further. That being said, the virus really isn't stable and dies from soap so opening an envelope, discarding it carefully and washing one's hands should work given current info.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the 'dirty' counter tip a lot. And thanks for reminder about soap. Logically I understand, but emotionally I still feel cooties crawling on me. :) A friend sent me a funny the other day that went something like, 'I've absorbed so much soap and disinfectant through my skin with all the hand washing, that when I pee, I clean the toilet!' LOL

      Delete
  2. Everything is uncertain these days and we all cope in our own ways. Thanks Juhli, (in comments) for the paper/glass/plastic guideline).I'm with you, I sure miss fresh fruit, and something I didn't cook. Hope it works out so we can get back to books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Remember when a good book about a pandemic was a diversion from everyday life? :)

      Delete

I have had a lot of really gross spam comments left lately, so I am having to turn comment moderation back on. To my nice blog friends, my apologies if this makes it more difficult for you to comment. To the mean naughty-talk spammers, just go away!

Related Posts with Thumbnails