background

Thursday, March 26, 2020

This pandemic thing...


Today the news reported that there is a 9th Covid-19 victim in our county, and she is in our little community.  She shopped recently at the same grocery store that we do.

Now it seems real to me.

In the county seat about 20 miles away, yesterday saw the first Covid-19 fatality in the county.  It was a 44-year-old man who had no known underlying health conditions.  Scary stuff.

I had previously scheduled a vacation day for today.  We were meant to be going out of town for my mother-in-law's 90th birthday party.  But her assisted living community is on lock down.  Her children will be having a Zoom gathering with her instead.  So I found myself at home with no particular chores planned.

The most productive, and calming, thing I could think of to do was bake bread.  That felt good.  And though we have plenty of food in the house, there were a few things that needed to be used while they were still usable.  So I thought I would use as many of them as I could to pull together our evening meal.  There were about 5 smallish potatoes that had sprouted and were slightly wrinkly, a few slices of bacon, a few links of sausage.  I knew I had onions, so I thought these might make a tasty hash.  While wishing I had some cabbage to add to it, I remembered that I had a bag of coleslaw mix...well it IS mostly cabbage...so it went into the pan too.

 A hearty hash and a slice of homemade bread made a homey supper on a rather unsettling day.

4 comments:

  1. Your supper invention sounds really good. We just did a Zoom birthday for a 92 year old aunt. Isn't it great that we can connect this way when we can't in person.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The modern ways of connecting are amazing, and I'm so glad, as I hate to think of her lonely on her birthday after looking forward to her party for so long.

      Delete
  2. Good use of time and supplies. Sounds delish.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The process of baking bread sounds very comforting, Kath. I'm glad you were able to connect with your mother-in-law on her birthday. Stay safe and well. MegXx

    ReplyDelete

I have had a lot of really gross spam comments left lately, so I am having to turn comment moderation back on. To my nice blog friends, my apologies if this makes it more difficult for you to comment. To the mean naughty-talk spammers, just go away!

Related Posts with Thumbnails