background

Friday, September 8, 2017

Frugal Friday File 2017, week 36...


Successes:
1.  Staying home to avoid the road hogs lines of cars wrapped around blocks waiting for their turns at the gas pumps.  Staying home also helps me not have to be IN those lines to buy gasoline.

2.  I think I have had my fill of met my quota of pasta-based meals this week.  Oh well, eating from things on hand in the pantry and leftovers in the fridge keeps me away from the grocery store and the drive-thru's.

3.  We had three leftover hot dogs languishing in the refrigerator.  I knew none of us would eat them.  I took them out and cut them in long quarters lengthwise, then sliced the quarters into very thin slices.  I spread them out on a foil-lined baking sheet and baked at about 175° F till they were mostly dehydrated.  Then I transferred them to paper towels and pressed so that the paper towels absorbed any extra fat.  I put them in small plastic containers and am storing in the fridge, and I'm using them for training treats for Rudy.  He's only getting the equivalent of about one 1/8 inch slice of hot dog per day.  I really don't even have to give him any to get his interest, just let him lick the flavor of it off of my hand.  :)

4.  I accepted a half day of work next week.  It's in a neighboring town, and I usually don't accept partial days if it involves a commute.  But this is the region leader's branch, and I like the people there, and I like that they trust me, and I want them to keep calling me.  I'll make a list of other errands that may need to be run while I'm there so it will be worth the drive.

5.  We went to see my mother-in-law this week.  I spent about a half hour massaging her feet, ankles, and lower legs.  It helps temporarily with the fluid retention in her feet and ankles.  I try to do this each time we go.  It's something I can gift her that is totally frugal, takes up no room in her small assisted-living apartment, and is something she thoroughly enjoys.

Will Be Trying:  I haven't actually done this yet, but I read it in a comment on The Non-Consumer Advocate.  I thought it was brilliant, and I look forward to giving it a try on our upcoming vacation.  Instead of buying full-price (and basically dust-catching) souvenirs at gift shops, browse the thrift stores at your vacation destination.  You will potentially find souvenir-worthy items that will actually fill a need when you get them home and remind you of your trip with each use.  I always think our local thrift stores have pretty spare pickings, so I think it might be fun to see what one might find in other parts of the country.


Frugal From the Kitchen This Week:
Saturday:  *Tex-Mex
Sunday:  Sunday family supper with Kasey
Monday:  *out of town restaurant eats
Tuesday:  Tuna Casserole
Wednesday:  Baked Spaghetti
Thursday:  leftovers
Friday:  leftovers

(*not-frugal takeout or dinner out)

3 comments:

  1. Glad (not right emotion lol) to hear I'm not the only one located in a place where the thrift stores have slim pickings! Great idea though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great gift you're giving your mother-in-law. I don't have fluid retention, but a good foot massage is bliss.
    Good tip about shopping the thirst stores.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post. Love the hot dog idea.
    Do you know about octopus hot dogs? Split the ends and boil them so the ends curl up. I never ate them this way but apparently it was popular with kids my age in the "old days".
    We have great thrift shops and consignment shops in KY but they are sometimes out of the way. So ask a local about where the best one is. I found a great consignment store in a nearby town but I had driven by the strip mall many times before I realized it was there. The shops were in an L shaped arrangement and it was tucked in the corner.

    ReplyDelete

I have had a lot of really gross spam comments left lately, so I am having to turn comment moderation back on. To my nice blog friends, my apologies if this makes it more difficult for you to comment. To the mean naughty-talk spammers, just go away!

Related Posts with Thumbnails