background

Thursday, January 31, 2019

January at a glance...

Jan 4...a late lunch/early supper at a favorite restaurant after a long-talked-about visit to the National Pacific War Museum 


Jan 6...trying out my Christmas gift from Kasey and family...Ninja air fryer ♥

Jan 10...way too much of this kind of procrastination going on


Jan 13...new Swish card game at Sunday family supper...and we like it!  The cards are transparent and have 'rings' and 'dots' on them in various locations and colors.  The cards are laid out on the table, and players attempt to visually determine pairs or multiples of cards on which colored 'rings' will stack with the same colored 'dots'.  When a player thinks he has found a match, he (or she) yells, 'SWISH!' before picking up the cards to prove the match.  If they match, that player keeps the cards, and player with most cards at end wins.  Flipping and/or rotating the cards is allowed to match the patterns.

Jan 14...new Birkenstock canvas sneakers...so cute.  Worth the new-shoe blisters?

Jan 15...deer herd in front yard...daily occurrence...one reason I don't garden

Jan 16...Goodwill drop off

Jan 17...Pineapple Banana Bread fresh from the oven

Jan 18...filling in at my favorite branch, and it just happens to be the one closest to my house.  :)

Jan 19...mending...the thread looked like a close match until I started sewing...oh well, good enough for these pants' purpose

Jan 20...'dirt' pudding (crushed Oreo cookies layered in and on top) for Sunday family supper's dessert at Caitlyn's request

Jan 21...day trip to visit Carey's mother

Jan 22...more cross-stitch tags...relaxing and instant gratification  :)


Jan 23...port flush today...taking care of my equipment so it takes care of me  :)


Jan 24...Rudy...his tail is always a blur!


Jan 25...hot chocolate mug cake...à la Blue Bell mode
1 pkt hot cocoa mix, 4 T flour, 3 T water, 2 tsp melted butter, 1/4 tsp vanilla, 2 T choc chips
Stir together and microwave for 1 to 1 1/2 minutes,  or till set but still melty in middle.


Jan 27...another new game for Sunday family suppers, and another one we like!  This one is called Dabble.  Draw 20 letter tiles, then make 5 words: a 2-letter, a 3-letter, a 4-letter, a 5-letter, and a 6-letter word.  First person to make each of those shouts, 'Dabble!' and all players get the point values for the words they were able to complete, with the person who completed all five words getting a 25 point bonus.  First player to reach 500 points wins. 


Jan 28...Having some trouble with 2019 reading challenge already...too many books set in other countries that I want to read.  This reading challenge may end up being a multi-year challenge for me.


Jan 29...oh my aching back!

Jan 30...My friend Cat called to talk about a baby quilt she is making soon but didn't have a pattern for.  We were looking at a picture online of the quilt pattern she was leaning toward, when I realized the pattern book cover looked very familiar.  I checked my Amazon purchase history and, sure enough, I own it.  Miracle of miracles, I was able to FIND the book in my messy house.  Happy to share it with Cat...even if she did raz me about not updating my blog enough lately.  LOL  She's right.  I'll try to do better.


Jan 31...trying to catch up

6 comments:

  1. Busy,busy, busy! How do you fit so much in? The Swishgame looks fun.i might look on Amazon for that.
    Ps, no shoe or sneaker is worth blisters!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lovely and fun things happen when the housework and responsibilities fall by the wayside! :) Swish is fun with lots of players, and not a lot of. I made the mistake of wearing these shoes to shopping without breaking them in first. Ouch.

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a great month! Swish and Dabble look like fun! I LOVED Sarah's Key- a great read! One of my alltime favs. Of course, I do love Historical Fiction...
    I had the same thought about your 2019 reading challenge... WHEN would you get time to read anything else? I guess that's why I don't belong to a Book Club. Not keen on someone else telling me what I have to read. I have my own very high pile... that's always growing..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm shopping my piles and Kindle account first for books to fit the challenge. So they are all books I have wanted to read, and this is a reason to actually tuck into them. My problem is there are just new ones coming out all the time!!! LOL

      Delete
  3. Love your blog post. So much inspiration from it. I’m going to have to try your pineapple banana bread and I’m hoping to find Dabble.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sylvia! I ordered Dabble from Amazon.

      Delete

I have had a lot of really gross spam comments left lately, so I am having to turn comment moderation back on. To my nice blog friends, my apologies if this makes it more difficult for you to comment. To the mean naughty-talk spammers, just go away!

Related Posts with Thumbnails