background

Thursday, December 5, 2019

What I am reading Wednesday...

I'm a day late and a dollar short, as the colloquialism goes, but excited about the books I have to read this week.

 A Single Thread by Tracy Chevalier

I love Tracy Chevalier, and this is her new one.  I put my name on the reserve list at the library as soon as I heard about it, and my turn came up very quickly.  I couldn't wait to dig in.

It's about Violet, who lost her brother and fiance in WWI.  At a time when so many young men were killed, they left a generation of spinsters to face a lifetime alone with limited options.  Violet is determined not to spend the rest of her life living with her bitter and trying mother.  She takes a chance and manages a transfer from her hometown job to the Winchester office, and on a visit to the cathedral, she becomes interested in the organization of broderers...a group of women who embroider (needlepoint) kneeler and bench cushions for the cathedral.

Oh my goodness!  England.  Handwork.  Women in community.  And romance.  It was as good as I hoped it would be.

The Body: A guide for Occupants by Bill Bryson

And at the same time my reserve turn came up for Bill Bryson's new book.  Which I will be starting tonight.

4 comments:

  1. Oh I read that too and thoroughly enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's on my reserve list at the library - can't wait until comes in. Have you read Bill Bryson's Notes from a Small Island - loved it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't wait until IT comes in. It's almost midnight, better go to bed before my typing gets any worse!

      Delete
  3. Tracie is on my author list at the library. I haven't seen that book so I'll put out a request.

    ReplyDelete

I have had a lot of really gross spam comments left lately, so I am having to turn comment moderation back on. To my nice blog friends, my apologies if this makes it more difficult for you to comment. To the mean naughty-talk spammers, just go away!

Related Posts with Thumbnails