background

Saturday, December 14, 2019

Frugal Friday File 2019, week 50...

Successes:
1.  Since we missed Thanksgiving, I still have everything I need to make pies when we gather for Christmas.  I considered making a pie for Sunday family supper, but decided it would be smarter to hold on to the pie makings so I don't have to restock as the crowds get crowdier.  Somehow I have overbought flour lately, and I had yeast that needs using up (best-buy date 2017, but every time I proof it, it is still active), so I decided to make cinnamon rolls.  They weren't my best batch.  Their rise was fine, and they looked perfect, but the flavor was in some way bland.  I wonder if I used 2 teaspoons instead of 2 Tablespoons of cinnamon?  Oh well, they were edible.  And when we got home from Kasey's, walking into a house scented of home-baked bread, Carey said, "At least the house smells good."  LOL

2.  Had planned to make a chicken curry, but there was no chicken in my freezer.  So I just added more vegetables.  Pretty much emptied the crisper drawer: yellow peppers, green peppers, onion, nearly-dehydrated baby carrots, added sweet potato and white potato, and served over rice.  A little starchy, but pretty tasty, and didn't require abandoning my menu plan.

3.  I stocked up on fruit for smoothies, and sandwich makings for lunch, and have eaten both at home every day.

4.  I have purchased only one (1!) Christmas gift.  Okay for my bank balance, but not so much for my family.  Seriously, I need to get it in gear!

5.  Once I do have some gifts to put under the tree, I have plenty of leftover bags, paper, and ribbon to wrap them without purchasing any more.

Saturday:  Vegetable Curry and naan
Sunday:  Sunday family supper at Kasey & Beau's
Monday:  pork chops, squash casserole, green beans
Tuesday:  slow cooker soy/honey Chicken Drumsticks w/ broccoli, rice
Wednesday:  Virginia's Taco Soup
Thursday:  *baked potato
Friday: *chicken

Number of individual servings made and frozen for work lunches this week:  11

(*not-frugal takeout or dinner out)

4 comments:

  1. I have purchased or ordered all my presents but have no paper. Wrapping paper was not a priority when I moved. Now I'm wishing I that I rethought that idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL It always seems to be one way or the other, doesn't it? As it turns out, it won't cut into my wrapping stash much to wrap this year's gifts! :)

      Delete
  2. I did my Christmas making and shopping early, before we went on holidays, so it's all done. I do have a little wrapping to do though. Have a lovely Christmas time with your family, Kath. Meg:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I will start on next Christmas' gifts on New Year's Day...or maybe the 2nd. ;) I'm such a procrastinator, and if someone had told me last Christmas that I'd be working full time again, I'd have laughed and laughed.

      We often can wear shorts and sandals on Christmas day where I live, but really can't imagine the heat you are having, Meg. Wishing a wonderful Christmas to you and yours as well!

      Delete

I have had a lot of really gross spam comments left lately, so I am having to turn comment moderation back on. To my nice blog friends, my apologies if this makes it more difficult for you to comment. To the mean naughty-talk spammers, just go away!

Related Posts with Thumbnails