background

Friday, May 24, 2019

Frugal Friday file 2019, week 21...

Successes:
1.  Lately I've been very lax about making menu plans (as in none) and grocery shops (as in sending Carey for an item or two); that makes it way too easy to resort to take out.  A menu plan was high on the To-Do List this week, as was making a large grocery order to restock the refrigerator, freezer, and pantry.  Today I picked up the groceries, and got them all put away.  So nice to have things ready to prepare.

Kasey (she who lives by spreadsheets and budgets) assures me that because of the lack of exposure to impulse purchases, ordering groceries and picking them up has resulted in savings for her over and above the fees the store adds for doing the physical hunting and gathering.

2.  I have been using a PT-INR home-testing unit for about ten years now (it measures the amount of time it takes for your blood to clot...ah, the joys of taking warfarin).  I pay for supplies and services, but I have to believe that over these ten years I have probably saved a small fortune on office visits, and definitely on gasoline as my doctor's office is in a neighboring town.  (I hope that by mentioning this here it does not jinx my unit, as I would hate to have to replace it.)

3.  Received the rebate check that I had requested to be reprinted since I had lost track of it and found it after the date of expiration.  It is in my purse, and awaiting my next trip near the bank so that I can deposit it.

4.  I have been cooking boneless/skinless chicken breasts and thighs in the slow cooker today.  I will shred some of it for our chicken tacos tonight.  The rest I will chop and put in the fridge, and within the next few days I will have it ready to add to King Ranch Casserole one night and a pasta salad another night...easy starts to home-cooked meals.

5.  Carey is finally home after working three straight weeks covering for others on the job.  The overtime makes for a nice payday.

Saturday:  ?
Sunday:  Sunday family supper at Kasey & Beau's
Monday:  *chicken
Tuesday:  Buddha bowls w/ salmon and roasted vegetables
Wednesday:  Buddha bowls again
Thursday:  Swiss Steak w/ potatoes, onions, bell pepper, and corn
Friday:  Chicken Tacos

(*not-frugal takeout or dinner out)

3 comments:

  1. That is great that you can check your Warfarin dose at home. I remember my parents having to drive a distance so often to get theirs checked. I don't have a slow cooker so you have sent me off to see how to make tasty shredded chicken breasts without one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’ve been on Warfarin for ages for a blood clotting disorder (found when I had a pulmonary embolism after surgery once). I was always the youngest one in the room when I had to go to the cardiology clinic to have it checked (before I started self-testing)…now I would probably fit right in. :)

      I would think you could bake chicken breasts in the oven covered with foil and have same results. These turned out well. I browned just a bit before starting on slow cook (my Ninja slow cooker has a stove-top setting also, so can brown right in it…LOVE THAT…only one dirty pan and it’s non-stick so super easy clean up), sprinkled a packet of taco seasoning mix over the lightly-browned chicken, then poured some Picante sauce over top so they would have some liquid in pan and not dry out.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the ideas. I found a recipe that stews them then adds sauce and seasonings after shredding. Might do it this weekend.

      Delete

I have had a lot of really gross spam comments left lately, so I am having to turn comment moderation back on. To my nice blog friends, my apologies if this makes it more difficult for you to comment. To the mean naughty-talk spammers, just go away!

Related Posts with Thumbnails