background

Friday, February 15, 2019

Frugal Friday File 2019, week 7...

Successes:
1.  I wanted to create new decor for above the fireplace to include some large wooden letters.  The chunky letters that I had in mind were too pricey for me.  I purchased some that are about 12 inches high, but only about 1/4 inch thick.  To create a more substantial appearance, I hot glued just two used wine corks to the back (one at the top, and one at the bottom) so that they stand out from the wall and have the appearance of depth.  I'm happy with the look.  A big plus:  the combination of thin wood and corks are so lightweight, each hangs securely on just a straight pin that I hammered into the wall.  No noticeable nail holes will be left when it's time to change decor again.

2.  Beef & Winter Vegetable Stew was on the menu.  Stew meat was $4.99 a pound.  I searched the meat case for another cut of meat that I could cut into cubes myself.  Boneless beef rib meat was $2.99 a pound, so I thought I would give it a try.  It was already cut into lengths of a convenient size, and since it was boneless, all I had to do was slice into chunks.  The rib meat cooked up very tender and flavorful in the stew.


3.  Though the meat was very lean for the most part, I was left with a small amount of scraps that I had trimmed away.  I tossed the scraps into a Ziplock bag, labeled the contents, and tossed the bag into the freezer.  When I have accumulated enough bones/meat scraps, I will make a pot of beef broth.  

4.  I'm working today; and locally so no commute.  Yea!

5.  Earlier this week, I had used almost all of my survey coupons for free drinks at Sonic.  (I only get drinks at Sonic; rarely food unless the girls are with me.)  I start getting nervous at the thought of no more free drinks.  :)  I diligently check my receipts to see if it has a survey offer, and this week I was rewarded with two.  Yea!  My favorite visits to Sonic are when I use a survey code for a free drink, and they hand me a receipt that indicates $0.00 due...and it has a survey offer for another free drink at the bottom.  LOL  

Saturday:  leftovers
Sunday:  Sunday family supper at Kasey & Beau's
Monday:  hummus, crackers, and vegetables
Tuesday:  *Chinese
Wednesday:  *sushi
Thursday:  Beef & Winter Vegetable Stew
Friday:  *Tex-Mex

(*not-frugal takeout or dinner out)

2 comments:

  1. What a wonderfully productive week you've had and I love the idea of adding the illusion of depth to wooden letters by using wine corks,it was such a genius idea! I hope you have a wonderfully blessed week ahead!

    ReplyDelete

I have had a lot of really gross spam comments left lately, so I am having to turn comment moderation back on. To my nice blog friends, my apologies if this makes it more difficult for you to comment. To the mean naughty-talk spammers, just go away!

Related Posts with Thumbnails