background

Friday, February 8, 2019

Frugal Friday File 2019, week 6...

Successes:
1.  A trusted friend and I have been setting semi-monthly phone appointments to discuss financial goals and strategies.  It's been helpful for both of us, and...since my new, lower-cost phone plan still includes unlimited call minutes...frugal even though we are far apart.  My homework this week is to get a bid on auto insurance from a different company.

2.  The topic of decluttering is everywhere these days.  I noticed on our public library's website that they are having a program next week on "what to save and what to toss" led by a professional organizer.  Sign me up for some good, free fun.

3.  Looks like we're doing separate vacations this year.  Jared and Carey have a trip scheduled to Arizona to watch some spring-training baseball.  They are discussing making a quick side trip to see the Grand Canyon.  That would make me very happy, since Carey has wanted to see it, and I already have (and don't have a yearning to go back).  Jared is paying for the plane tickets, and Carey has his own 'fun money' set aside for hotel and car rental.  They will split meals.

4.  And within this past week or so, two opportunities for time away have come up for me.  One is a nearby spring quilt retreat (which, of course, is done very frugally by our group).  The other is a family reunion in Michigan...but not my family, so I said, 'yes!'  LOL  Thanks to last year's abundant work opportunities, I have some 'fun money' socked away that make both of these possible.

5.  Today I am: baking banana bread (with overripe bananas); sticking close to home to save gasoline and impulse spending (and so Rudy doesn't have to brave the cold temperatures outside); keeping the thermostat set a little lower than Carey likes it; making a few cards and writing letters; and printing some graph paper from an online source instead of running out and buying a whole package since I only need a couple of sheets.

Saturday:  *Schlotzky sandwiches
Sunday:  Sunday family supper at Kasey & Beau's
Monday:  No Peek Chicken
Tuesday:  *Tex-Mex
Wednesday:  Meatloaf, potatoes, broccoli, green beans
Thursday:  leftovers
Friday:  Goulash

(*not-frugal takeout or dinner out)

8 comments:

  1. How fantastic to have a friend to swap ideas with on a regular basis. I reorganised my Mums finances when she moved into her new flat and was amazed how much she could save on energy and phone/internet deals. Every extra penny very gratefully squirrelled away.
    Mike and I go on separate short breaks fairly frequently. I used to take a night or two away to do family history research around the UK. It was fairly cheap apart from the fuel costs as I stayed in small bed and breakfast establishments and usually ate at the local pub in the evening. I could immerse myself in something he had no interest in. Enjoy yourself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The 'boys' are excited about their baseball trip, and I am happy they were able to coordinate vacation time together. I fully plan to enjoy my time too! :)

      Delete
  2. A friend to swap money-saving ideas with would be a great way to inspire one another and make savings, Kath. I hope you can find a good deal on your auto insurance. I cut up and froze some overripe bananas yesterday for smoothies. Meg:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just took the banana bread out of the oven, and it smells SO good. After it cools my plan is to slice the entire loaf and package individually to freeze for Carey to take to work.

      Delete
  3. Nothing wrong with separate vacations, we do it all the time. Great to come back re-charged, and often more appreciative of each other.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope, nothing wrong at all. We've done it for the past 40 years, just not for the past couple.

      Delete
  4. You are right, the best way to save money is to stay home. It helps to have banana bread tho.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I managed to have one slice and put the rest in the freezer individually packaged. :)

      Delete

I have had a lot of really gross spam comments left lately, so I am having to turn comment moderation back on. To my nice blog friends, my apologies if this makes it more difficult for you to comment. To the mean naughty-talk spammers, just go away!

Related Posts with Thumbnails