background

Friday, November 23, 2018

Frugal Friday File 2018, week 47...

Successes:
1.  There was leftover roast and potatoes in the fridge earlier this week.  I had meant to make soup, but I couldn't get excited about any recipes.  So I diced them up along with an onion and a couple of baked sweet potatoes and made hash.  Topped it with some over-easy eggs, and it made enough supper to feed two and make two work lunches (minus the eggs).

2.  I was out of brown sugar while I was baking pies for our holiday.  Instead of driving 7 miles to the grocery and fighting the crowds, I went to Google and sought a substitute.  I knew that commercial brown sugar is only granulated sugar with molasses added, but I needed a ratio and method.  Oh my gosh, such an easy fix.  One cup of regular granulated sugar and two Tablespoons molasses stirred together in a bowl is such an easy substitute for one cup of brown sugar.  I guess molasses may not be a staple in everyone's pantry, but happily it is in mine. 

3.  Daughter and s-i-l were hitting the sales today at the exact store I needed an item from.  Carey has a Christmas wish that required a different set of knowledge skills than I possess.  Son-in-law to the rescue.  Carey's Christmas gift is marked off my list, while my car was kept off the roads.

4.  Put the flannel sheets on the bed this week.  Keeps us warm without raising the thermostat.  And the fact that they are over ten years old and still going strong is pretty awesome.  :)  Buying good quality pays off in the long run.

5.  Reading a library ebook on my Kindle.  Pre-treating stains before clothes go into the hamper, prolonging their life.  Paid all bills on time.  Using cloth napkins...really old cloth napkins...those things last forever!  Being thankful for frugal parents who taught me lots of useful and frugal skills.

Frugal From the Kitchen This Week:
Saturday:  *sushi
Sunday:  Sunday family dinner at Kasey & Beau's
Monday:  salmon Buddha bowls
Tuesday:  Two Potato Hash w/ sunny-side up egg, and green beans
Wednesday:  *Schlotzky sandwiches
Thursday:  Thanksgiving feast at Kasey & Beau's
Friday:  Shrimp Alfredo served with spaghetti squash

(*not-frugal takeout or dinner out)

1 comment:

  1. That's a good tip for the brown sugar, Kath. I will file that away for a time when I run out. (It always happens in the middle of a recipe!) Meg:)

    ReplyDelete

I have had a lot of really gross spam comments left lately, so I am having to turn comment moderation back on. To my nice blog friends, my apologies if this makes it more difficult for you to comment. To the mean naughty-talk spammers, just go away!

Related Posts with Thumbnails