background

Friday, September 21, 2018

Frugal Friday File 2018, week 38...


Successes:
1.  I worked three days this week.  I know you must get tired of reading that on the list lately.  It's very unusual that I work this much.  This year I have already worked twice as many hours as I did in the whole of last year, and we still have a quarter of this year left.  However, I am cutting way back for the next couple of months to do fun stuff...and to catch up on much needed household chores.  Today I have emptied my closet, and will downsize and donate before putting everything back.

2.  At the moment, I am brewing tea.  Three weeks, and not a sip of Coke has passed my lips.  Yea!

3.  Next year's (2019) long-term care insurance premium savings is fully funded.  I put a set amount of dollars away each month into a specific savings account so that when the premium is due in January there is no emotional trauma about where we will possibly find the money.  I will continue to fund it each month for the rest of the year just in case the premium goes up.  Whatever is left over after it is paid will go into a general savings, and I will start over for the 2020 premium.  Carey grumbles about this, but it is very important to my peace of mind.  He says it is like making a separate mortgage payment; I agree with him, and then tell him I am pre-paying our future housing (not to mention nursing care).

4.  It has rained so much the past few weeks, that Carey's had lots of mowing to do.  I am SO thankful that he is able to keep up with it and we don't have to hire it out.  Three plus acres is a lot of mowing.  

5.  When Carey visited his mother this week, he decided to make it an overnight visit so that he could stay late into the evening to watch the baseball game with her.  (That is their common denominator, they both love baseball.)  His brother and sister-in-law were gracious enough to host him overnight, so no hotel bill.

No time for entertainment expenditures this week.  We were pretty busy with a grandchild overnight, work for me, cooking meals for home and packing meals for him to take to work, home maintenance, mowing, etc.

Frugal From the Kitchen This Week:
Saturday:  *Chinese
Sunday:  Sunday family supper at Kasey & Beau's
Monday:  egg on toast, fruit salad
Tuesday:  chicken curry w/ rice
Wednesday:  *Luby's
Thursday:  breakfast for supper
Friday:  smoothie

(*not-frugal takeout or dinner out)

4 comments:

  1. So proud of your new drinking and brewing habits—not typical of Bardstown during Bourbon Festival (last week), BUT, healthy and frugal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have been so industrious, working and sorting cupboards. I know I must only wear a quarter of what I have but I am so reluctant to get rid of good stuff I bought when I was working “just in case....”
    I am so proud of our National Health Service here in the UK. It is 70 years old this year. My mother still talks about the times during her childhood that her mother was unable to call the doctor as there was not enough money. The NHS is under strain but still works when there is an emergency. Much slower for planned surgery though.
    Well done on the fizzy drink ban. Have you tried fruit teas?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just bought some peach tea yesterday. I think I may brew some later. I also like peppermint tea.

      I'm only sorting out my clothes closet because I nearly trip whenever I try to reach the back of it. :)

      Delete

I have had a lot of really gross spam comments left lately, so I am having to turn comment moderation back on. To my nice blog friends, my apologies if this makes it more difficult for you to comment. To the mean naughty-talk spammers, just go away!

Related Posts with Thumbnails