background

Friday, August 31, 2018

Frugal Friday File 2018, week 35...


Successes:
1.  I filled up with gasoline at a station that is 20¢ less per gallon than others in the area, plus 10¢ less still if you use their brand loyalty card, which I did.  An easy $6 savings since I was working near this particular station this week.

2.  I went into JoAnn's today.  I succumbed to some impulse purchases as soon as I walked in the door.  Not part of the frugal plan, but they were on clearance.  I needed some new cutting blades for my paper cutter, and they were buy 2 get 1 free.  Thanks to using the store app coupons, I received 40% off one regular priced item, and 20% my entire order.  Total savings $18.67.

3.  
This is what Rudy left in my path the other night.  He was either trying to (a) keep me contained or (b) cause my death by tripping.  If you can't tell, it is a long row of his toys lain end to end, plus one of my Birkenstocks to top it off.  He has never chewed shoes previously, so he got in trouble.  The strap shows definite damage, and may rub uncomfortably from here on out, time will tell.

I need shoes with a lot of support, and I wear Birks morning to night, from the time my feet hit the floor in the morning till I slip into bed at night.  The tile floors and cement slab the house is built on (not to mention every other building and store I frequent) are not kind to my high arches and dodgy knees.  It has been a long time since I have purchased a new pair of Birks, and some of my favorites are looking pretty tired.  So I used the chewing as an excuse to look at new ones, at least new to me.  

I went to Ebay and searched Birkenstocks in my size.  I found a black, closed-toe pair, lightly worn, very inexpensive with low shipping cost, and they can be worn to work.  I found a pair of sandals like new and in my favorite style, less than half the cost of new, and free shipping.  Then I found a new pair in a style I've never seen before...I fell in love...and I paid full price.  Doy!  But at least the shipping was also free on that pair.

Really, it was all Rudy's fault!  
We've made up now.  No hard feelings.  In fact, he is sleeping across my legs as I type.


4.  I worked three full days even though it was not what I wanted to be doing this week.  Ah, well, it will pay for those shoes.  ...sigh...

5.  The electric bill has arrived and actually went down a little.  Usually this is our highest billing period of the year, and this year it has been SO hot.  We are still hovering around 100°F, though today was only 96°.  That the bill went down a little, rather than up a lot, was a pleasant surprise.

Frugal From the Kitchen This Week:
Saturday:  *pizza
Sunday:  Sunday family supper at Kasey & Beau's
Monday:  late lunch, skipped supper 
Tuesday:  pancake and a smoothie
Wednesday:  *Chinese
Thursday:  *Schlotzky sandwiches
Friday:  Dublin Coddle

(*not-frugal takeout or dinner out)

5 comments:

  1. I will have to check out Birkenstocks, Kath, because I have had such trouble with one of my feet for nearly a year now. Podiatry, orthotics etc. haven't helped much. Perhaps these might be comfortable to wear. Meg:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Meg! I have been wearing them almost exclusively for years. They were recommended by a reflexologist whom I went to for help with plantar fasciitis (excruciating heel pain, usually first thing in the morning). The molded cork footbed supports the arch, and helps me so much. Hope you find something that will help your feet too! I'm interested to hear how you are doing. And I visited your blog and love it...added it to my blog list to get updates as they are posted! :)

      Delete
    2. Hi again, Kath. I was really interested to read what you wrote here. My foot hurts a lot in the morning too but is okay the rest of the day until the evening. It's worse if I've been on my feel all day. I will definitely give these shoes a try because I really don't want to wear closed in joggers and orthotics during our hot summers. I am more a barefoot kinda girl so these might just be a good compromise. Thanks! Meg:)

      Delete
  2. I can't figure out why my comments don't post when I use my iPad and unfortunately I don't lug out my laptop often. Anyway, I think Rudy is trying to tell you something with the placement of his toys and your shoe in such a deliberate and well thought out design. I think he misses you and doesn't want you to work outside of the home as much. Not a dog-whisperer - just sayin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohhhhhhh…I think I should DEFINITELY listen to him! :)

      Delete

I have had a lot of really gross spam comments left lately, so I am having to turn comment moderation back on. To my nice blog friends, my apologies if this makes it more difficult for you to comment. To the mean naughty-talk spammers, just go away!

Related Posts with Thumbnails