background

Friday, August 24, 2018

Frugal Friday File 2018, week 34...


Successes:
1.  We love breakfast for supper, and it really is frugal.  However, it always seems that when I decide to make waffles, I'm out of milk.  So when I saw a recipe for a homemade pancake/waffle mix from Kathryn at Do It On A Dime that used dry milk in the mix, and thus only required adding a cup of water and an egg to make batter, I knew I'd be much more likely to make more breakfasts for suppers than to fall back on take out.  

When I was rooting around in the pantry on Saturday and found a forgotten bag of instant dry milk, I realized that I had all the ingredients to make a batch.  I put the mix recipe on What's Cookin' 4 Miles North of Nowhere.

We enjoyed our 'breakfast' Saturday night, then I froze the leftover waffles on a cookie sheet.  Once frozen, I moved them to a Ziplock bag, and took them to the kids on Sunday.  They can pop them in the toaster, and have a favorite breakfast in a flash.

2.  Made sure all bills were paid on time before my work week started and fatigue set it.

3.  Work.  Sleep.  Repeat.

4.  No shopping of any kind.

5.  So thankful for a car that gets good gas mileage.  Even with all the driving I did this week, the needle is still far from 'empty'.

Frugal From the Kitchen This Week:
Saturday:  Breakfast for supper: waffles, eggs, bacon
Sunday:  Sunday family supper at Kasey & Beau's
Monday:  pork chops, baked sweet potatoes, creamed peas
Tuesday:  slow cooker roast, potatoes, carrots
Wednesday:  *Schlotzky sandwiches
Thursday:  *friends night out
Friday:  late lunch, skipped supper

(*not-frugal takeout or dinner out)

4 comments:

  1. The weather here in the UK has changed this week so I decided to get my slow cooker out of storage in the garage and make a casserole of beef, carrots, onions and celery. The beef was from the freezer (not sure when I froze it!). We ate it with some beetroots I had planted and forgotten about too. Altogether a cheap and satisfying supper.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is still SOOOOO hot here. I really hope it cools off some by October (not a sure thing) because I have a quilt retreat then, and I volunteered to make stew, cornbread, and baked apples as dessert. Won't be so welcome if it is still summer weather.

      Delete
  2. I will have to go look up that recipe! Hubby loves waffles and I love waffles for breakfast or dinner with sausage links or crisp bacon on the side!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They weren’t quite as crispy on the outside as ones I have made previously; however, I’m not sure if that was the recipe or if it was just that we didn’t eat them straight off of the waffle iron (I put them in a warm oven on a cookie sheet to keep them warm till we were ready to eat). But the ease of having everything pre-measured is definitely worth it.

      Delete

I have had a lot of really gross spam comments left lately, so I am having to turn comment moderation back on. To my nice blog friends, my apologies if this makes it more difficult for you to comment. To the mean naughty-talk spammers, just go away!

Related Posts with Thumbnails