1. I made a menu plan, grocery list, and grocery shop before Carey had to go back to work. Since we didn't buy my car till his last day home, I didn't want to get caught with an empty fridge and pantry and no transportation if things didn't work out on the purchase.
2. On my own today, did I spend my first day of vehicular freedom out cruising the highways in my new ride using gasoline? No. I had everything I needed at home, so I stayed home and read, played with Rudy, wrote some drafts of blog posts, and ate healthy. Never left the house except to go sit in the sun for awhile.
3. I gave Carey a rebuilt Kindle Keyboard for Christmas; he's always been sure he didn't need one, but I didn't know what else to get him this year. I bought the rebuilt older model because I love mine, and I thought we should both have the same model for consistency. I originally put four baseball books on it, and he mentioned this week that he's on the last one. Before he went back to work, I found and downloaded a couple of free ebooks (espionage fiction) that had a lot of good reviews so he's set again for awhile.
4. Our quilt retreat is coming up next month. Our fearless leader sent out an email with what each person's share of the rental would come to. My share was substantially less than everyone else's which had me scratching my head. I forgot that I had paid the deposit to hold our group's place on the calendar when I visited an open house event at the retreat facility last year. Woohoo for prepaid fun!
5. The new car should get substantially better gas mileage
than my previous one.
We did finance its purchase, but it was at a very low interest
rate. The rate of earnings by leaving our money invested
outpaces the interest rate we will pay on the loan.
I charged the substantial down payment to my credit card to
reap the reward points. As soon as it posts, I'll transfer
the money from checking to pay it off. I suppose I could
have asked the dealership if they would discount the
processing fee from the sales price if I paid with cash
versus credit, but I didn't.
Frugal From the Kitchen This Week:
Saturday: Virginia's Taco Soup
Sunday: Sunday family dinner at Kasey's
Monday: Spaghetti and Meatballs
Wednesday: pork chops, Hot Potato Salad, green beans
Friday: Frito pie
(*not-frugal takeout or dinner out)