background

Wednesday, September 20, 2017

What I'm reading Wednesday...

Too Late to Say Goodbye by Ann Rule

It's been ages since I've read any true crime.  I'm counting this as 'a book by someone you admire' category of the 2017 reading challenge.  The topic of her writing may not be everyone's cup of tea, but there are several things I do admire about her.

Her work is always well researched, and she pulls dry facts (and sometimes salacious facts) together in a cohesive timeline and in a style of writing that makes them very readable.  I also admire that she turned varied life experiences into an amazingly successful career.

And I thought the following falls under what I'm reading as well.  


Back when the screen of my first Kindle broke, I set it aside and ordered a factory rebuild of the same model, but held onto the broken one to try my had at repairing.  When I broke the second one I was devastated, and ordered two new screens, so I could try to repair them both.  

That little chore has been on my to-do list for eons quite awhile.  Fear of screwing it up (pardon the pun) has kept me procrastinating.  I finally watched lots of Youtube videos (this very helpful one multiple times and while taking notes) and felt like I had a decent understanding of what needed to be done.
Here was a really scary part of the job...just getting the back off to expose the innards.

At this point I was pretty sure I had made a huge mistake in not just buying a newer model.  See the black specks in the middle upper half of the photo?

Here's a closeup.  I mean, look at the size (or lack thereof) of the screws!  If you are wondering why I attempted to tackle this instead of asking someone else in my household to give it a go...well, I'm used to working with small parts in my crafting, so I figured I would be the most dexterous.


I managed to get both of them replaced, and after charging the batteries I was happy to see that one of them is now working, so I promptly put it in a new more secure and protective case.  The other had more damaged than just the screen I guess, but I will save it to cannibalize the screen for next time I break one.

And I managed to corral all the screws and get them all back in place.  No loose ones.  Today.  :)

6 comments:

  1. That's quite a task you set yourself - and have relieved you must have been not to have any leftover parts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES! As small as those screws were, the holes they went into were very hard to find sometimes. I was SO thankful that I thought to take a photo of the interior with my phone before I started to dismantle things. Being able to refer to it and enlarge sections of it was SO helpful.

      Delete
  2. I'm impressed with your skill, I wouldn't even attempt it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was really intimidating, but I love this model, and figured I didn’t have anything to lose.

      Delete
  3. I admire you for tackling this task. Glad it worked out.

    ReplyDelete

I have had a lot of really gross spam comments left lately, so I am having to turn comment moderation back on. To my nice blog friends, my apologies if this makes it more difficult for you to comment. To the mean naughty-talk spammers, just go away!

Related Posts with Thumbnails