background

Monday, December 28, 2015

Making it Monday: Chicken and Dumplings...

We had a very warm Christmas...high 70s F maybe...but last night we had a norther blow through, and today has been cold and blustery.

I stewed a chicken today, and after I boned it, I gave Carey two choices as to what he wanted me to make it into.  He chose Chicken and Dumplings.  I posted the recipe I use for these a couple of years ago over at What's Cookin' 4 Miles North of Nowhere.  At that time the photo I took was awful, and I meant to replace it with a better one.  Finally managed to do that tonight.

It is a bowl full of home-cooked love...comfort food at its best.  I took this photo of one of the dumplings cut in half to show how light and fluffy they cook up clear to the center.  Yummy! 

Last night I stayed up late reading.  At 5:00 a.m. I was still wide awake...a recurring problem for me.  I don't like getting up early, but I don't have a problem staying up till dawn.  

As the sun rose, I decided to knock a few things off of my weekly to-do list, so I made a menu plan for the week and made the grocery list.  Since I have been cooking out of the pantry and freezer for a good while, our cupboards were pretty bare.  

At 7:00 a.m. I was still wide awake, so I thought I'd just go ahead and go to the grocery store.  I made it home around 9:00 and started putting groceries away.  That's when I put the chicken in the slow cooker.

I slept for about three hours in the middle of the day.  Here's hoping that a warm bath and a happy tummy will help me actually get a whole night's sleep tonight.
Photobucket  

6 comments:

  1. You must be operating on Southern Hemisphere time! You crazy woman! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well then, Joolz, you may feel free to email me anytime and expect a prompt reply! :)

      Delete
  2. i love chicken and dumplings but hubby hates them so i don't cook them a whole lot

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like dumplings made with roast beef too, but my hubs prefers rice or potatoes with beef, so I know what you mean. Wish you could come share some of mine! :)

      Delete
  3. yummy, yummy! that is REAL comfort food! and you did a menu plan!....hope you are that organised when I pick up 'Whats for Dinner Wednesday' again, next week?! I have so much trouble going to sleep at night but I have never not slept all night....crazy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. >> hope you are that organised when I pick up 'Whats for Dinner Wednesday' again,<<

      I hope I am too! LOL I can’t tell you how many times lately we have had scrambled eggs and toast or some other crazy easy thing at the last minute, just because I have been putting off going to the grocery store. Oh how I hate grocery shopping!

      The sleeplessness has gotten worse over the past year or so. Even when I have to work, I can’t fall asleep until the wee hours.

      Delete

I have had a lot of really gross spam comments left lately, so I am having to turn comment moderation back on. To my nice blog friends, my apologies if this makes it more difficult for you to comment. To the mean naughty-talk spammers, just go away!

Related Posts with Thumbnails