background

Sunday, February 16, 2014

Sunday Stealing: Books Meme...


Oooooh, I haven't done a Sunday Stealing post in a long while.  When I saw this week's topic over on Mum of 4 was 'book meme', I had to join in, so here goes...

  1. Favorite children's book: Love You Forever by Robert Munsch

  2. The last book you've read: last one finished was The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion...right now I'm reading Olive Kitteridge by Elizabeth Strout

  3. Books on your to-read list: 2014 
    Alice's Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll
    To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee
    Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien
    Catcher in the Rye by J. D. Salinger
    The Call of the Wild by Jack London
    Lord of the Flies by William Golding
    Catch 22 by Joseph Heller
    Something Wicked This Way Comes by Ray Bradbury
    Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain
    Frankenstein by Mary Shelley
    Tess of the D'Urbervilles by Thomas Hardy
    A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens
    Love in the Time of Cholera by Gabriel Garcia Marquez
    A Town Like Alice by Nevil Shute

  4. Top 5 authors: Ken Follet, Susanna Kearsley, Barbara Delinsky, Thomas Perry, Bess Streeter Aldrich

  5.  Favorite genres: I am kind of all over the place, but I do really like historical fiction as well as time travel. 

  6.  A book that has made you extremely mad: The Land of Painted Caves by Jean Auel...ugh!  She should have hung up her typewriter on this series several books back.

  7.  A book that you've cried over: The Winter Sea by Susanna Kearsley

  8.  A book that made you laugh out loud: The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion

  9.  Fiction or non-fiction: mostly fiction

10. First book you've read by your favorite author: The Eye of the Needle by Ken Follet

11. Best book-to-movie adaptation: Not technically a movie, but I love the series based on the Call the Midwife books by Jennifer Worth.

12.  Do you read comics/manga?  No.

13.  Hardcovers or paperbacks? Paperbacks

14.  Do you buy books as soon as they come out or wait awhile?  Usually get on waiting list at library, but if a much-hyped book is a Kindle Deal of the Day I will definitely buy it.  For a favorite author, I might even pre-order.

15.  Do you buy books spontaneously without any prior knowledge of what happens in it?  No...I usually read books that have been recommended to me or books where I have heard the author interviewed.  I for sure read the cover description, and almost always check out the reader ratings.

16.  Have you ever bought a book based on the cover alone?  Hmmm...I can't think of any off hand, but I would guess that I probably have.

17.  Where do you usually buy your books?  Library book sale...Half-Price Books...Amazon

18.  Book that had a strong impact on you: The Dovekeepers by Alice Hoffman

19.  Historical or Science Fiction: historical, but I do like a good time-travel story

20.  Dystopian or Utopian? Dystopian

21.  Worst book-to-movie adaptation:  Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand

22.  Book that should have a movie adaptation: I hate to answer this question, because I'm always afraid that they will really mess up a good story by making a bad movie out of it.

23.  First book you've fallen in love with:  The Collector by John Fowles

24.  Humor or angst? Humor

25.  How many books do you own?  For sure hundreds...including children's books and Kindle books probably over a thousand.

26.  Do you go to the library?  YES!

27.  How many books do you read a year?  Last year I think it was only around 40-some, but I had a really difficult schedule.  This year I think it will be substantially more.

28.  Favorite 'required reading' book:  I loved The Great Gatsby by F Scott Fitzgerald, and I had a thing for Sinclair Lewis' work.  I'm sure both authors were assigned.

29.  Favorite quote?  I have quoted long passages that really meant something to me in previous blog posts.  But the one that pops into my head that is short and easily remembered was a joke that one character told another in a Fannie Flagg book:  "Why did the wife shoot her husband with a bow and arrow?  ...She didn't want to wake the children."  :)

30.  A book you absolutely hate:  Poison by Sarah Poole

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for the comment. Your answers make fascinating reading! I LOVED 'Love you forever' but was never able to read it out loud to the kids without dissolving in tears!
    I also recently read 'The Rosie Project' and enjoyed it. I have friends who didn't care for it though ????
    I like the quote - it made me laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved reading all this, Kath! You put me to shame as I don't think I have completed a novel in several years. I used to love the Patricia Cornwell novels but once I had children all that crime just did me in.

    When Kirby left home, I wrote the "I love you forever' lines in her farewell card. I remember it best when Joey Tribiani on Friends read it to Rachel's baby. Its not a book that I knew growing up.

    Lovely post all round!

    Cheer - Joolz xx

    PS: we just had news recently that my BIL has prostate cancer. Having tests this week to see if it is contained then treatment will be decided. Goddammit, such a shit disease!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our book club has decided that we will start reading again --instead of just having margaritas! I like the look of your list! Edie at www.lifeingraceblog.com is a big reader too -- had an online book club last year with podcasts. I'm reading "Half the Sky" right now--have you read it or seen the documentary on PBS?

    ReplyDelete

I have had a lot of really gross spam comments left lately, so I am having to turn comment moderation back on. To my nice blog friends, my apologies if this makes it more difficult for you to comment. To the mean naughty-talk spammers, just go away!

Related Posts with Thumbnails