background

Tuesday, December 18, 2012

2012 Book Awards


I am shamelessly ripping off Caroline's 2012 Book Awards, but I loved it so much, I had to.  I guess I have the Oscars on my mind, because this is what popped into my mind when I was trying to decide how to lay out this post.

I think I've only read thirty-nine books this year...some pure escapism, but a lot have been really challenging.  What follows are some of the memorable reads from this year.


Best Character in a Leading Role... 


Runner by Thomas Perry

I love the character of Jane Whitefield.  Thomas Perry has written quite a few novels over the years featuring this strong, smart, Native American woman who helps people disappear when their lives are in danger.


Best Supporting Character...












The Misremembered Man by Christina McKenna

I just really liked the characters in this one.


Best Actress in a New Role...
When It Happens to You by Molly Ringwald

I was pleasantly surprised by how much I liked this work by former Brat Pack actress, Molly Ringwald.









 


















Remember her?













Best Remake...

The Flight of Gemma Hardy by Margot Livesey
















Not that Jane Eyre needed to be rewritten, but this was an interesting updating of the classic novel.



Best Foreign Topic...




 
The Buddha in the Attic by Julie Otsuka











This was different, as the whole thing was written in the third person.  But really interesting.



Best Read of the Year...

The Dovekeepers by Alice Hoffman

















I am so glad I read this early in the year.  It really brought to life the people and locale of ancient Israel for me.  And that has been really handy as I work my way through the One Year Bible.


And my apologies for the ridiculous formatting of this post.  Thanks a lot Blogger.
Photobucket

4 comments:

  1. Must add that Molly Ringwald book to my list - have read several good things about it now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Must add that Molly Ringwald book to my list - have read several good things about it now.

    ReplyDelete

I have had a lot of really gross spam comments left lately, so I am having to turn comment moderation back on. To my nice blog friends, my apologies if this makes it more difficult for you to comment. To the mean naughty-talk spammers, just go away!

Related Posts with Thumbnails