background

Sunday, July 18, 2010

Sleep interrupted...



For some reason, I keep waking up in the wee hours lately.

Now I realize that some of you would choose to just get up and start your day at this time, but having just turned in a few hours before, that's really not an option I can go for.

I hesitate to turn on any lights, as that just seems to extend the time I'm awake...so no reading, no tv. But this morning, I thought maybe if I acknowledged and documented the moment, that it would free my mind to relax and sink back into sweet slumber.

So I walked through the house in the dark, retrieved my camera, and snapped this pic. I wasn't even sure it would turn out. I was pleasantly surprised.

It freed my mind to marvel over the fact that I know my camera well enough now to adjust the settings from memory...basically I can do it with my eyes closed...well almost. Then I ruminated on the quality of the darkness. As a country-life newbie, I missed the reassuring glow of street lights and traffic, but I've grown to love the ambient inkiness of unadulterated country dark.

I think I was back asleep by 4:30.

2 comments:

  1. You know there IS something comforting about having neighbors, street lights, visiting over the fence. I do miss it and I've been in the country 10 yrs. now. I do love the dark sky and the bright stars that seem to twinkle so much more out in the country, but sometimes...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wake up almost every night somewhere between 2 and 4 am. And some nights it's easier to get back to sleep than others - guess it depends how much you've got on your mind.

    ReplyDelete

I have had a lot of really gross spam comments left lately, so I am having to turn comment moderation back on. To my nice blog friends, my apologies if this makes it more difficult for you to comment. To the mean naughty-talk spammers, just go away!

Related Posts with Thumbnails